Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Junior In College, Ready for LSAT?  (Read 860 times)

BlackDuck

• View Profile
    • Email
Junior In College, Ready for LSAT?
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »
I am a junior in College, working on a B.A. in Business Adm. Pre Law. What can I do to gradually begin getting ready for the LSAT. Any advice you can give me will help. I am serious about getting a good score.
Also, please keep it positive.

“Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.”

marcdagr8

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Junior In College, Ready for LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
junior as in just completed your second year of undergrad?

BlackDuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »
Yes, second year of undergrad completed.
“Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.”

IClawstud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »
What I did my summer going into the junior year was buy LSAT Logic Games for dummies( its like 25 bucks well worth it) And I gradually got through the book through out the summer. It helped me get a lead on the very difficult logic games.
Good luck. And remember DO NOT start getting stressed out about the LSAT yet. Enjoy the summer!

PreProBono

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Hello! I will recommend to start studying to take your LSAT next summer. You do not want to leave it for Senior Year, you are going to have tons of things to focus on and you do want to dedicate as much time as you can to LSAT preparation. How busy are you this summer? You might want to dedicate as much time as you can during this summer to focus on the areas you have difficulties with and target other areas over the school year. Is this something totally new for you, or have you given some time to prepare already?

Message us privately if you have any questions.  If you like take a look at our website, we have the curriculum we teach at our classes up and videos explaining some areas of the LSAT.

Good Luck!

PreProBono

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
I am a junior in College, working on a B.A. in Business Adm. Pre Law. What can I do to gradually begin getting ready for the LSAT. Any advice you can give me will help. I am serious about getting a good score.
Also, please keep it positive.

Law school admissions involve two major factors and a few minor factors.  First and foremost is your LSAT score, so you want to devote adequate time to practicing to get in the range you need to hit for the schools you want to attend.  Second is your GPA, so while LSAT is important, don't let it get in the way of crushing your undergrad courses.  There is plenty of advice on this forum to get you pointed in the right direction on what resources to make use of in preparing for the test.

The minor or "soft" factors include things such as your personal statement, your letters of recommendation, your supplemental essays, and your transcript.  These are the tools the admissions people use to try and figure out who you are and how you might fit into their ideal incoming class.  The number one thing they are looking for among your soft factors is diversity.  That doesn't just mean being a racial or ethnic minority, but diversity of background and experience.  Unfortunately, most of us look pretty much like everyone else on paper.  We did high school, we went to college, we joined a few clubs and service organizations, and then we applied to law school.  Snore.  What your softs need to do is make you stand out.  You want the adcoms to see your file and say, "Oh yeah, he's the guy who..." or "She's the girl who..."  After the ellipses should be something really friggin' interesting.

Why am I telling you this?  Because a business admin major with a pre-law concentration is like plain toast.  Pre-law is completely unnecessary and hugely overrepresented in lawschool admissions.  Business admin isn't much better.  (Econ, political science, and criminal justice are equally bland.)  If you haven't climbed Mt. Everest, killed an alligator with your bare hands, or saved a small village from starvation, I'd at least consider changing your major to something interesting (or at least rare) that will grab someone's attention.