Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BarBri might be a waste of money after all  (Read 1057 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
BarBri might be a waste of money after all
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »
So I'm a coward.  Some people I trust told me I could avoid the $3000 BarBri class and just study on my own, but I thought it was too much of a gamble.  Now that I'm 1/3 of the way done with the course, I realize my friends were probably right.  It's a good program, but I've been noticing that the lectures just simply go over the written materials.  They give a few tips and tricks for the bar exam that are very helpful (not $3000 helpful) but they don't really clear up concepts that are foggy in my mind.  I also don't think the lectures help me memorize anything.  Most of the actual learning I'm doing is still on my own.  The only benefit I'm getting from barbri other than a few tricks is that it keeps me on track.  I paid $3,000 for a babysitter.

Some of you who have taken the bar are probably scoffing at me right now.  A lot of people say barbri is awesome.
Answer two questions for me though:

1:  If BarBri charged per session, and not per course, how many classes would you go to?   So if you paid 500 bucks up front for the books, and then the other 2500 was split over the roughly 35 barbri class periods ($71 dollars per class period) how many times would you go?  I would have went for two weeks and then I would have stopped.

2: If a decent law student just memorized the elements in the conviser mini review and the state distinctions and did the practice tests in the books, don't you think they would pass in most jurisdictions?

In my state you can buy all of the books on craigslist right now for $250.  I assume that's legal (I'd check first), and if it is that's the way I would have went in retrospect.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BarBri might be a waste of money after all
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
I can't really comment one way or the other. 

I am interested in the responses you get, though.  I'm probably a lot like you:  learn much better on my own.

It does seem that Barbri has become a sort of religion, though.  Not many people can afford to flunk the bar and wait that much longer for the next one.  So, you don't take any chances.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »
I suspect that if people actually paid for barbri directly rather than having it funded by employers barbri would loose a huge percentage of their business. 

1. Probably none and almost certainly not more than one.

2. Yes.
HLS 2010

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
I did self-study using Micromash for MBE and free school lectures/material for state bar and passed.  I barely cracked the books and relied 95% on the computer scored self tests for the MBE.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
1. The same could be said of college.
2. Yes.

Barbri is annoying, and takes way too much time.  They take a large amount of material that would normally take a long time to go through and present it in such a way that it takes even longer.  If they would give you brief outlines with the important rules and exceptions, and then focus their lectures on how the questions should be dissected knowing the rules, I think it would be a lot more useful.  Having a professor read you his outline so that you can fill in the blanks left every 3 sentences is really friggin obnoxious.

Also, I got one of my graded essays back the other day.  I had COMPLETELY misstated a rule of law, and the stupid grader didn't even notice.  Soooo glad I'm not the one paying for this.