Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid?  (Read 500 times)

Dreaming_Student

• View Profile
    • Email
Financial Aid?
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:47:23 AM »
How do you get aid other than loans that you have to pay back? Do they even offer grants for law school? I filled out my financial aid papers and they said once you complete undergraduate, you are inelligible for grants. And I can't find any scholarships for law school. I need money to pay for this education. And I wanna have the foresight to not depend purely on loans. I don't wanna go to law school only to be in debt my whole life.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Financial Aid?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
How do you get aid other than loans that you have to pay back? Do they even offer grants for law school? I filled out my financial aid papers and they said once you complete undergraduate, you are inelligible for grants. And I can't find any scholarships for law school. I need money to pay for this education. And I wanna have the foresight to not depend purely on loans. I don't wanna go to law school only to be in debt my whole life.

No scholarships?  Honestly, I'm amazed at the amount of scholarships available out there.  I did a half-assed job on the LSAT, have a crappy GPA and still got a half-ride.  Yeah, that still leaves $10,000 a year for me to deal with, but I think that's pretty awesome.  If I had known how much scholarship money was out there, I'd have worked a lot harder on the LSAT.  I was literally getting a scholarship offer about once a week after I took the LSAT. 

Maybe you're going to much better schools than the one I'm going to.  However, that should give you access to a higher strata of jobs, too.

As for plunging in debt, there's not really any other way that I know of. 

You're right to be concerned.  Law is turning out to be a lot like pro sports or entertainment where a few people at the very top make astronomical money, but if you don't put yourself in that group, you're scrapping for very little money. 

Do you have what it takes to be a rock star?  Then take on the debt and don't look back.

Are you thinking you're only going to be an average attorney?  Then it might be very, very unwise to sink $100,000 in debt to do this.

politicolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I would be likely to believe Falcon Jimmy's situation to be more the exception than the norm. A half tuition scholarship plus living expenses is more than 10,000 at almost every law school I'm aware of.

There are some outside scholarships for underrepresented minorities, and school sponsored scholarships for merit. Otherwise, there's more loans and the option of working and going part time. The only way I could imagine going without substantial loans would be to go to a state school- or to have top grades & a high lsat in at least the top 25%.

Good luck!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »
I would be likely to believe Falcon Jimmy's situation to be more the exception than the norm. A half tuition scholarship plus living expenses is more than 10,000 at almost every law school I'm aware of.

Yeah, the tuition, alone, is a little more than 10,000 a year, but I figure the living expenses have to be paid whether I go to law school or not.

politicolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
True, but if you weren't in law school you would be more flexible with how much your able to work or not.

Its true also that you would have the debt of living expenses regardless, but the ability to pay for them and the level of budget is different while in school. Nonetheless, financial aid & budgeting definitely should be planned out in the greater sense.

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »

You may want to check out the Distance or Online Law School options posted under the Distance Learning Board.  However, be aware of all the pros and cons.  It's not for everybody, but I have enjoyed the experience with NWCU School of Law.  I am a professional Financial and Tax Adviser and don't need the prestige or the debt of a traditional law school name as attorney work will compliment my existing work.   

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »
You think online law school is a legit school?  Are you in California?  That is interesting to think you can just learn law on your own in your pajamas on the computer.