Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Biochemistry-Molecular Biology/Business Econ/Global Studies Triple Major  (Read 963 times)

bmouler

• View Profile
I'm a Biochemistry-Molecular Biology/Business Economics/Global Studies triple major finishing up my junior year. I will be graduating in 4 years (next year) and have started getting my applications together. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the triple major and my chances. I know many of you said that triple majoring doesn't matter, but most of the threads where that was posted, it was in reply to people triple majoring in non-hard science fields, not even Economics. I have a 3.35 GPA, with my upper-division GPA at 3.5.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I want to do biomedical patent prosecution.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Your major/s mean very, very, very, very little. Paramount are your GPA and your score on the LSAT. If I may make a recommendation, I'd suggest not attending law school right away and spending some time instead as a patent examiner. If patent prosecution is still what you're interested in after really getting to know what it's about, it will still be an option, and you'll have work experience to help bulk up your resume. They're also paid very well, so you can reduce your law school debt if you eventually do choose to attend.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

bmouler

• View Profile
I've spoken to a couple of the partners at the top IP law firms that I will eventually want to work at and they all told me that the quality and type of undergrad major matter a lot to them. In fact, I chose this path partly because of their advice. They don't hire people without at least a B.S. in a hard science or engineering (of course a Ph.D. is preferred). I can't imagine that law schools won't give my application a little boost over someone with a Political Science degree. I mean I'm graduating with over double the units most of my peers are graduating with.

And I was wondering about my majors, I don't need financial advice and clearly want to be a lawyer... Not everyone is in the same financial situation as you, but thanks.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
You're right. You're obviously a beautiful and unique snowflake, and admissions committees can't possibly view your application through the same filter they use for everyone else. I apologize for wasting your time with my pointless and unfounded response.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've spoken to a couple of the partners at the top IP law firms

I don't mean to be dismissive, but I'll stop you right there.  First, what "a couple of the partners at the top IP law firms" say has zero bearing on anything an admissions committee does or doesn't do.

Second, people say a lot of things.  Frankly, they tend to say a lot of very nice things.  Things like, "If you ever need a job, give me a call" or "you're the sharpest kid I've seen in a long, long time."  Talk, unfortunately, is free to give, hence the expression "talk is cheap".

With a 3.35 gpa, you will not be applying for the very best law schools.  You'll be in the fatter part of the bell curve.  Those law schools take a LOT of applications and base the vast majority of their decisions on LSAT and GPA, alone. 

If they have multiple candidates who are on the brink, with similar LSAT and GPA, sometimes they'll go to other factors.  Your majors will undoubtedly be very positive.  However, chances are at least a few dozen people with your LSAT and GPA have a backstory like having been a Guatamalen refugee, or escaping a violent revolution in the former Soviet Bloc, etc. 

Your major is an intangible, and it would have to be more impressive than the intangibles of a lot of other people to matter much.  Frankly, the admissions committee is probably more interested in giving a break to some kid whose mother was a crackwhore or who handed out blankets during the Japanese earthquakes.

Personally, I think it's darned impressive that you got a triple major in 4 years.  However, it's not likely to impact your admissions chances much.  I know you don't like that answer and it's unfair for all sorts of reasons.  Folks are just telling you like it is.

Best of luck.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I agree with others, for admission to law school your majors will not be relevant; however, if you do VERY WELL in the best law school you can get in to, they could be an asset when it comes to interviewing with IP firms.