Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted to Chapman (Today from Waitlist)  (Read 1469 times)

standard1

• View Profile
Accepted to Chapman (Today from Waitlist)
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
Just got the packet today in the mail. Honestly has given up hope in getting in, now to decide if it is worth the 120k....

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accepted to Chapman (Today from Waitlist)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
Congrats on the acceptance.  As for whether its worth it, I'd say yes if you are independently wealthy and intellectually curious. Probably no from a cost/value/ROI standpoint (though this would depend in large part on your next-best alternative). 
HLS 2010

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
I would say it is worth it and any ABA school is worth the money if you know what you are getting yourself into. The tuition rates are absolutely absurd at every law school, but a 100k investment in legal education will pay off for the rest of your life. Always remember education is a LONG-TERM investment and you will be a lawyer for 20+ years and over that span of time you will have earned more than 100K even if you are a subpar attorney.

Bikepilot went to Harvard and you get a lot more bang for your buck going to Harvard than Chapman no question about it. If you had a 170+ on your LSAT then I imagine you would be going to a T14 school. However, I am guessing like 99% of the general population you are unable to get a 170+ on your LSAT, but you were able to do reasonably well on your LSAT and get admitted to an ABA law school. So if you want to be a lawyer then Chapman will be worth the time & money. If you don't know about being a lawyer or are one of these people that attend law school and have no desire to be a lawyer then it will not be worth it.

random83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
Attending Chapman without a sizeable scholarship is a bad return on investment. If you are willing to be a lawyer even if it means a lesser return of value on your money, then by all means attend Chapman. For all intents and purposes, Chapman is a Tier 3 school (yes it fluctuates to the 2nd tier every now and then). Your prospects from a tier 3 school will be poor unless you place at the top of your class.  If you are fine with earning around 50k when you graduate and working 60+ hour weeks, then feel free to attend Chapman.

T14 schools are usually worth the risk at sticker. Some T1 schools can be worth the risk at sticker because although they are regional, they tend to place well in their region. T2 schools are questionable, and one who really wants to go into law can consider them at sticker. T3 and T4 schools will result in poor prospects unless you are at the top 10% or so of your class. Everyone intends to be at the top of their class, but most fail to do so.

If you are determined to go to law school, consider delaying it a year and raising your LSAT score. Anyone can raise their LSAT score with practice. I know people who had 150s who raise their score to the 165-175 range by actually studying for the LSAT. Raising your score will get you admissions to better schools or at the very least scholarships to some of the lesser schools. If you must go to law school now, feel free to give Chapman a shot. Just be aware that you will most likely earn something in the 50-70k range and will face student loan repayments of 1-2k/month (IBR might soften this in the short term but as your pay rises it won't).