Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: am i screwed?  (Read 7507 times)

bw3733

• View Profile
    • Email
am i screwed?
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
Hello all,
I have a question (i hope i posted it in the right section, sorry if I didnt). I just graduated in May with my 1st bachelors in communications/journalism (Public Relations/Broadcast Media), my GPA was DEPLORABLE (2.412) due to some bad factors and I was not able to pull it up in time. I am interested in going to law school eventually down the line to practice in the field of estate, business/public policy or if it warrants, civil rights (I actually like litigation so I am open to anything). Now, I was thinking of going back to school for a 2nd bachelors in Marketing (I can go back for free), take my LSAT prep classes and prepare for the long road of applying etc.

My question is, if I got my 2nd bachelors and did a good job above 3.5 or what have you, will it be enough to sort've cover my 2.4? Am I beyond a doubt f***ed and can't get into a good law school (at least my dream school)? Give me some insight, I am willing to do whatever it means to get the wheels moving atm. I know 2nd bachelors is frowned upon but most of my credits will transfer and I can finish it easy while having my tuition covered as opposed to getting an MBA in Marketing where I'd have to pay. My mindset is if law school doesn't pan out, I can get into PRs or Marketing with my current debt only at 22-26k.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: am i screwed?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
My question is, if I got my 2nd bachelors and did a good job above 3.5 or what have you, will it be enough to sort've cover my 2.4? Am I beyond a doubt f***ed and can't get into a good law school (at least my dream school)? Give me some insight, I am willing to do whatever it means to get the wheels moving atm. I know 2nd bachelors is frowned upon but most of my credits will transfer and I can finish it easy while having my tuition covered as opposed to getting an MBA in Marketing where I'd have to pay. My mindset is if law school doesn't pan out, I can get into PRs or Marketing with my current debt only at 22-26k.

A second bachelor's degree (or a master's) is a "soft" factor.  The advice is straightforward:  ace the LSAT. 

As between a second bachelor's and a master's, the latter is probably better even if you have to pay, unless your second bachelor's would give you a substantial credential for a business career (e.g., accounting) that you don't already have.  Marketing can be a plus in a business setting, but to be honest most marketing folk either have it or they don't, and the specific degree is nearly superfluous.  Communication would be a common degree among marketing departments.

That written, if you can pull off a 4.0 (or close to it) for an upper-level set of courses, along with a compelling personal statement that would be a substantial plus.  The harder the courses (i.e., the more math), the more likely this is to impress.

There's a new book, Law School Undercover, that gives an insight from the perspective of a law professor who's also served on admissions committees.  He offers several unique perspectives that are really quite eye-opening.

Best of luck,

Thane.

politicolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
Also, it is important to note that a 2nd bachelors or a masters degree do not go into the LSAC report. They would be reviewed by the law school as a "soft" factor, but do not go into the official lsac report.

bw3733

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »
I see. Ahhh, I feel so screwed beyond belief. I am starting to study on my own but that just made me more nervous. Thanks for the advice. I like journalism but I am really interested in PRs/Marketing only so I was exploring side options as well.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
The good news is that you can overcome your UGPA with a great LSAT score.  Many schools weigh the LSAT at 60% or more.  You probably will not ever be an auto-admit student.  So, you will also need to focus on the other soft factors like resume, volunteerism, and personal statement.  BUT, YOUR LSAT IS GOING TO BE THE DECIDING FACTOR.  Realistically, you need to practice until you can score 165+.  Graduate level work, with stellar grades will also go a long way.  Schools want students who they think will succeed. 

Unfortunately, once you have received your degree its too late to change your GPA.  If anyone has a similar problem, and they wish to take more classes to increase their GPA, the only way it works is by taking extra classes before the first bachelor's is awarded.  Getting a dual bachelors could be an option for someone who can add more classes before receiving the first degree.   

You are not screwed.  Law school is still an option. 

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:43:34 AM »
If you are really interested in PR/Marketing why even waste the time and money on law school?  Only go to law school if you truly want to be a lawyer - it's a waste for just about any other reason.  Do what you enjoy in life and what interests you.  If law school is a new or passing interest, forget it - it's not a glorious grad school.

I see. Ahhh, I feel so screwed beyond belief. I am starting to study on my own but that just made me more nervous. Thanks for the advice. I like journalism but I am really interested in PRs/Marketing only so I was exploring side options as well.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
Hamilton is absolutely right.  Hate to keep bringing references in, but there's a section in the provocatively titled Slacker's Guide to Law School that all law students (even non-slackers) should read.  It's the section on "why to go," and it's the best out there.  Read that and then decide.

Thane.

If you are really interested in PR/Marketing why even waste the time and money on law school?  Only go to law school if you truly want to be a lawyer - it's a waste for just about any other reason.  Do what you enjoy in life and what interests you.  If law school is a new or passing interest, forget it - it's not a glorious grad school.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
If you are really interested in PR/Marketing why even waste the time and money on law school? 

That's worth emphasizing.  Plus, most business jobs really couldn't care less what your GPA is, and the few that do won't care once you have two years of job experience under your belt.

This may be kharma's way of telling the original poster that he should pursue his interests in PR and Marketing.

bw3733

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
Ahhh I am a her, not him :P.

But, I am interested in law more than those as well. I have lurked enough law school forums like these to understand it is not a 'every other grad school' type of institution. My rationale behind Marketing/PR is that is a fall back plan. I understand I could very well not do well enough to get into law school or karma may make me drop out but if that is the case I can still pursue other careers. Every forum I see graduates and drop outs saying they either made a career with something else or are unemployed, etc etc. I don't want to be that person or in that situation where I an broke or unemployed. If need be, I have flexibility to do so.

Don't laugh but I really would like to be a federal judge and work with the constitutional law and I want to do what I can to make it happen. Like the title of the topic says, I just want to know if I have a chance and seeing as I do, I will take it.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
Realistically its going to be really hard, but not impossible to pull the con-law/judge thing.  The big con law litigators I know went to HLS/YLS, were on law review, had near-perfect grades and clerked for SCOTUS.  Its often, but not always, these types that get nominated for fed judge spots.  There's also of course a bunch of politics involved - research the nomination process a bit.   
HLS 2010