Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best course of action for explaining poor grades to law schools?  (Read 690 times)

shaq896

• View Profile
    • Email
I am currently a third-year student at UCLA, and while my undergraduate GPA is solid (3.7) I took some community college courses in high school and didn't do so well in them (3.1, including one D). I was 15-16 at the time, and want to accurately convey to law schools that I was stupid kid without proper direction so that they place my undergrad gpa on a much higher plateau. What is the best way to approach this issue? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: Best course of action for explaining poor grades to law schools?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 03:41:55 AM »
The best course of action for explaining anything:

1. Specific cause and effect.
2. Specific steps taken to resolve.
3. Documented improvement over significant period of time.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Best course of action for explaining poor grades to law schools?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »
Add to the previous post:

Take responsibility and don't give excuses.  I would do a 3-4 sentence addendum to your reach schools.  The schools will recognize that the classes were taken during high school.  For your safety schools, you should be fine on your credentials alone -- only prepare an addendum if the application directions suggest one.