Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from WUSTL --> UCLA, HYS, B  (Read 958 times)

sharpies

• View Profile
Transferring from WUSTL --> UCLA, HYS, B
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:56:31 AM »
What class rank would one need at WUSTL to have a decent shot at transferring UCLA (with ties to the region)? What about HYS? What about Boalt?

thanks  :)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring from WUSTL --> UCLA, HYS, B
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:31:42 AM »
What class rank would one need at WUSTL to have a decent shot at transferring UCLA (with ties to the region)? What about HYS? What about Boalt?

There's a chart in Art of the Law School Transfer that might help as to all.  (The short answer: high, very high.)

sharpies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »
thanks thane, i'll definitely see if my local b&n has that book.

When you say "high", what exactly do you mean? I'm well aware that it has to be somewhere around the top of the class, but I wanted to see if people had any input in a specific rank range for each of these schools.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
thanks thane, i'll definitely see if my local b&n has that book.

When you say "high", what exactly do you mean? I'm well aware that it has to be somewhere around the top of the class, but I wanted to see if people had any input in a specific rank range for each of these schools.

As to transferring, you can think of law schools as a series of cascading pools.  And, yes, we're the salmon.  So, to make a significant jump requires significant energy.  Here, that's in the form of grades.  So, if you're hoping to jump more than one tier, you can generally stop looking at percentages (Top 10%, Top 5%) and start looking at absolute numbers (5/258, etc.), plus compelling and superbly done application materials. 

This is not the whole story, of course, but it's much of it.  Also, timing is crucial.  Be sure to confirm that via the book and the potential schools directly.  Much of what deans are looking for are indications of superhuman ability in organization, dedication, and perseverance.  Note where brilliance fits.

Best of luck,

Thane.

sharpies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:30:42 AM »
Thanks.

Any one else? I'd like to hear more perspectives/opinions if anyone has anything to contribute :)