Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Obama...Irish and Kenyan...do students know about Irish slaves in America?  (Read 1952 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
...bet you didn't know that Iceland was a slave colony.

http://www.rhettaakamatsu.com/irishslaves.htm
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
they invent ice cube.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
kurds = turds.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
...glad u read about it.

but why do you make fun of people of color?   how much of a bigot are you?

why don't you like cultures where oppression has been the mainstay?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
julie just dislike goatfuckers, which include you.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Iceland wasn't really a slave colony.  Yes there were slaves there, but not anywhere near the scale of antiquity or African slaves sent to the Americas in the early modern era.

Poor people settled Iceland out of desperation, a few rich people went with them as land owners and government leaders just like 500 years later with the Americas.  Rich people in the Viking era usually had slaves, some of whom could have been Irish.

I'm really trying to see where your going with the Irish slave thing, Blue.  Most cultures (possibly all) around the world had slavery.  Christianity and Islam changed all that with the exception of the African trade (both Muslim trade and trade to the Americas).  Why? Who knows?  Money and greed sound like the good standard answer to why both the Christians and the Muslims did it so long post antiquity in Africa and not anywhere else.

If you want to focus on English oppression of the Irish, economics is a good place to start.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Obama...Irish and Kenyan...do students know about Irish slaves in America?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
What point are you assuming aye am making?  You didn't seem to have a point regarding the information aye provided at all...my icelandic question was simply catechetical.  So, aye shall respond with the same obfuscation.  Aye'm sure you learned something from the vast information you gathered before you placed your post...so good for you...didn't know there were Irish slaves in America?  Now you do...maybe you already knew...but aye bet there are some who didn't know this.

And sorry to be a cynic but Iceland was a slave colony... it wasn't just that some rich Vikings had some slaves.  Similarly, Haiti was a slave colony...it wasn't just that some rich in the French empire had some slaves...
Sorry to be cynical in telling you that there is no scale capable of measuring the value of a human....500 slaves...5000 slaves or 50,000 slaves...irrelevant....what is relevant are the affects and effects of pillaging and uprooting another culture.

There is good research regarding the genetics of Icelandic people and there origins...check it out...there is more to it than you may think.

And not to cause you pause but slavery still exists today, my man.

ApAcHe...2.25pm

Iceland wasn't really a slave colony.  Yes there were slaves there, but not anywhere near the scale of antiquity or African slaves sent to the Americas in the early modern era.

Poor people settled Iceland out of desperation, a few rich people went with them as land owners and government leaders just like 500 years later with the Americas.  Rich people in the Viking era usually had slaves, some of whom could have been Irish.

I'm really trying to see where your going with the Irish slave thing, Blue.  Most cultures (possibly all) around the world had slavery.  Christianity and Islam changed all that with the exception of the African trade (both Muslim trade and trade to the Americas).  Why? Who knows?  Money and greed sound like the good standard answer to why both the Christians and the Muslims did it so long post antiquity in Africa and not anywhere else.

If you want to focus on English oppression of the Irish, economics is a good place to start.

LincolnLover

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
So, according to the OP it's only "slavery" if it's non-white people?

Gotta side with Blue on this one. Chains are Chains.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
Blue is the OP.  Probably trying to argue more diversity in slavery, historically.  He's right there is.  But the African slavery is more relevant because it ended so recently that there are still socioeconomic effects from American slavery we all deal with every day.

Irish, like St. Patrick were a slaves, but it was far enough in the past that there are no current effects (what do you think the social basis for anti black racism is- they were slave class not that long ago).  Blue is trying to nullify modern consequences of slavery occurring less than 150 yrs ago in our world, with slavery that occurred 500 years ago is a world of the past.

While such a position has historical truth, the modern relevance is far less apparent.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

LincolnLover

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
Aren't there still slaves? Even white ones?