Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WF(27.5k/yr) vs. Nova(Full Ride + Grant)  (Read 707 times)

nillumin

• View Profile
    • Email
WF(27.5k/yr) vs. Nova(Full Ride + Grant)
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:57:42 PM »
I know I've posted this before, just still trying to get more viable opinions...

-Wake has given me 27,500 a year with a top 2/3 stipulation. If I fall out of the stipulation I keep half.
Wake is 36,500 a year, so it would cost me around 10,000 a year to go there + living which will be a little less than 10,000, maybe 8,000 a year. So I'm guessing Wake will cost me around 60,000 when it's all said and done...

-Nova has given me 35,000 a year with a 3.15 stipulation (Around top 48% I think). This is pretty much full tuition at Nova give or take 1,000 bucks. They also have given me a 1 time 10,000 grant which I can use for living my first year. So in the end I'll be paying for 2 years of living at around 10,000 a year probably and barely any tuition and fees. The grant has a non-binding agreement that I will contribute to similar funds down the road. Nova will probably cost me around 25,000-30,000 when it's all said and done.

I have been in Philly my whole life (my family is also here) so I'm sure I wouldn't mind being here a little longer, but for some reason I really feel like I would like the idea of living down south and working in Charlotte. I just have never been there for a significant period of time so it's hard to commit to it all out. The weather up here can be a little taxing and like the idea of a bit slower pace (not sure how slow though) and nicer people. That being said, when Nova came back with the full tuition and grant...It became kind of hard to say no to it just because of the offer to go to law school for almost nothing. Part of me wants to commit to Nova because its the logical choice especially financially (I am very debt averse), but another part of me doesn't want to have to live in Philadelphia my entire life...Would there be any possibility of working in Charlotte with a law degree from Villanova? The whole choice is starting to wear on me because I pretty much flip flop every other day. I'd hate to choose Nova and never leave Philadelphia and always say what if, but I'd also hate to choose Wake, not like it down there (which I don't think is very likely) and feel like I'm 30,000-35,000 more in debt for no reason, and not be able to leave the south.

Any thoughts/comments from those facing similar choices would be much appreciated...

• View Profile
Re: WF(27.5k/yr) vs. Nova(Full Ride + Grant)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
If I have two offers, I may choose Wake Forest. Generally speaking ,Wake is a top school in the nation. (Well, it is not as well as Duke or UNC), but its reputation in nation is much better than Nova ( Will a guy from Oregon know Nova?)  Also, you just pay a little bit more than Nova, but you could get back these money very quick.  Of course, I know some guy go to Cooley because their whole family are wholly/mostly rely on his income. So he has to got a full-ride school to save money. If you can afford it, just go to Wake. By the way, could you show me your LSAT and GPA?

B212bb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
Villanova undergrads are really good looking (don't know if you are a guy or girl, but the girls are hot, and quite frankly, the guys are pretty good looking too) does that help your decision making?

Generally, try to avoid debt. Wake Forest does have a better rep though and I am sure you will get a job in the South and cost of living is of course lower. I also suppose it matters what kind of law you want to do. If you are aiming for a big firm, well then quite honestly, North, South, East, or West you will be working long, long hours ("slower pace" in BigLaw below the Mason Dixon might mean 65-70hrs per week as opposed to 75-80 in Philly and 90 in NYC).

taxguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »
Unless you are going to work in North Carolina, both schools will not have a lot of clout with law firms. Thus, I would take the one that costs you the least overall. My only concern is that being in the top 48% isn't as easy as it may sound. Don't let your rather strong LSAT fool you. The exam doesn't have the corelation that you think it should have as to law school grades.