Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wake Forest or Maryland  (Read 436 times)

benms

• View Profile
Wake Forest or Maryland
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »
I am trying to decide between four law schools
Wake Forest
University of Maryland
American University
Vermont Law School

I have been offered a full scholarship to vermont, a partial scholarship to American, and I am a resident of Maryland.  My interest is education law.  Any feedback or knowledge about any of these schools would be appreciated.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wake Forest or Maryland
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 03:31:05 AM »
Far from an expert on any of the schools, but in regards to the scholarships be wary of the conditions imposed on them. Often it will say something alone the lines of you need to keep a 3.0. To anyone who was offered a scholarship at an ABA school maintaining a 3.0 sounds like an easy task, but many schools have a curve that only allow 35% of the class to have a 3.0 at the end of 1L and this results in a 65% chance of you losing the scholarship. Not all schools do this, but ask a lot of questions about any scholarship money you receive.

As far as Maryland or Wake Forest goes? They seem to be schools equal caliber and the links listed below are from a website called Lawschooltransparency.com, which unlike U.S. News or the ABA reports actual salaries so it is a little more useful when looking at employment prospects. You can see the prospect are about equal so it should probably come down to cost. Maryland is 10K a year cheaper with In-State tuition so a savings of 30k and since your a Maryland resident I am just assuming you want to practice in Maryland. It is always a good idea to go to school in the area you want to practice in so Maryland seems like the cheaper & more practical choice. Just my two cents, but you should visit the schools and really see what you think.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=wake&show=flow

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=maryland&show=flow