Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT preptests disclose section order; will the real test?  (Read 1179 times)

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Before you begin a preptest is tells you the order that the sections will be presented in, (and they dont even make you figure it out through some sort of logic game ;D).  My question is; when you take the real lsat does it tell you the order of the sections on the test?

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT preptests disclose section order; will the real test?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »
Also, i have heard that the experimental section is always one of the first three sections.  Is that true?  I have been using the last section as my experimental (doing a section of an older test)  now im thinking of moving that to the third section.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
No, you don't know which order the sections will be in until you run into them

However, the experimental section will be one of the first 3 sections... the 4th and 5th sections are always scored.

See also: What is the LSAT experimental section? & Should I add an experimental section to a prep test?

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply, i have not been checking the table of contents and i have been including an experimental section in the first three sections, so i guess im in good shape.
Today i scored a 166 on preptest 44 and i noticed that the curves are much less generous after the first three books of preptests, where you only need an 80/101 for a 165.  I had an 85/100 and was expecting to hit my target 168, but was disappointed.  My breakdown was
LG 19/22
LR 24/26
LR 23/25
RC 19/27
that RC always gets me

totaltest.milan

• View Profile
    • total test prep
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Yeah the reading comprehension is somewhat particular.  The basic thing to remember with it is that you need to train yourself to read for structure, not content - though judging by your scores I'd guess you're doing that to some extent, at least intuitively.  Before giving some specific advice there's one thing I suggest to all of my students in terms of long-term preparation.  You should definitely take the time to read something dense and challenging on a daily basis, but I respectfully disagree with those who suggest that that includes magazines or newspapers like the WSJ, the Economist, the NYT, etc.  As sophisticated as that might be the main problem with magazines and newspapers is that they're designed for a somewhat generalized audience and they're designed to be read for content.  Instead what I've found helps my students a lot is reading from the following book: A Companion to Philosophy of Law and Legal Theory.  Reading a section at a time can be very useful if you've got months to go before the test.

Other than that, I teach my students what I've termed the POTS system.
P = Perspective
O = Oppositions
T = Tone
S = Structure

Each passage is going to have several different perspectives or points of view about a particular subject matter.  These perspectives are generally going to be in opposition or conflict with one another and the author's tone or word choice will articulate their evaluation.  The structure is a manifestation of these three other things in the paragraph as a whole.  I find that this is a conceptual framework that has really helped my students map out and understand the passage as they're going through it.