Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar Bri Exam Schedule Help?  (Read 3661 times)

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Bar Bri Exam Schedule Help?
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:24:25 AM »
Okay, so I'm signed up for the Barbri prep for the July bar. They've given me a schedule and it hasn't been all that helpful in charting out a specific schedule for me to follow. e.g. stuff to learn by X, topics to cover when not in class, and when to do what. Do you guys have any good sources for where to find a more specific study schedule I can then mod?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bar Bri Exam Schedule Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »
Just follow the Barbri schedule.  In the afternoon, you should be making notes, mnemonics, and doing the required homework.  It doesn't have a schedule that leads all the way up until the exam because different people need to focus on different topics.  Do the practice exams, work lots of MBE questions, figure out which topics you're weak in, and allot more time for that topic after the lectures end.

Don't freak out about the exam and don't do more work than Barbri tells you to do.  I recently passed an exam in a "hard state" -- while working -- with flying colors.  Barbri taught me everything I needed to know.  The bar exam is truly a test of minimum competency.  People fail it because they are either (1) dumb as a brick, (2) scared / not confident, and/or (3) don't care / lazy.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
Would you suggest going to preview week or just going to the regular classes?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
Would you suggest going to preview week or just going to the regular classes?

I think you're talking about the first week where they skim the MBE subjects and maybe take practice tests.  If so, I would go.  I found it helpful.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
What do you think would be an ideal schedule. Someone suggested
6:30 AM wakeup
6:30-7:30 workout
7:30-8:00 get ready
8:00-8:45 Review conviser outline/ eat breakfast
8:45-9:00 Go to class
9:00-1:00 Attend class
1:00-2:00 Eat lunch
2:00-3:30 Review Lecture
3:30-4:00 Break
4:00-6:00 MBEs
6:00-6:15 Break
6:15-7:00 Check answers and note missing
7:00-9:00 Read for tomorrow
9:00-9:15 Break
9:15-12:00 Barbri HW

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
Are you serious?  You shouldn't be studying any later than approximately 8:00 PM every night.  Wait until your classes are over to kick it into high gear or else you will risk burning out.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
Thanks for telling me that. That schedule was freaking me out.

jdsomeday

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »
Here's what I've done - advice I got from successful CA bar passers - with the Barbri classes.  I'm enrolled in video class but don't go.  I do the homework from the night before during the day (while classes are going), then watch the videos at night.  The theory here is this - you're more awake during the day and wanting to get stuff done. 

For me (and many others), after watching videos or live lectures all day, you're tired and don't want to do your own active learning work.  It's very passive learning and easier to do when you're tired.  So if you do the active learning (homework and assignments) during the day, it's much easier to watch the videos at night.  Also helps you get a good night sleep.  Best part is that you get the toughest part of the day (homework/assignments) done first, then, as a reward for getting it done (everything's relative during bar study), you get to relax and just watch the videos at night.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »
you get to relax and just watch the videos at night.

Credited response.  The quoted is the most important.  You need to do something besides studying at night so that you can keep your sanity.  DO NOT study all night right now.