Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking LSAT preptests, real LSAT t-minus 3 weeks  (Read 2514 times)

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Taking LSAT preptests, real LSAT t-minus 3 weeks
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
With the June LSAT approaching i am trying to wrap up and studying and i want to know how many preptests i should take before the test, and how many should i take a day?  I know this is probably personal preference to an extent and what i feel i can do, but others opinions are appreciated. 
Backround- i read the powerscore bibles twice over and compiled a 15 page review sheet which i review, so i dont think there is much more i can do there.
I have already completed about 16 preptests, 5 of which i did twice over, a month after i first took them.
With 21 days to go i have 20 tests i havent taken, and i can retake preptests already completed by buying replicate prepbooks (all the test ive taken so far are from the 3 books)
So i am thinking of taking 2 a day, one new test followed by an old test.  I have been aiming to do 3 sections, take a 10 minute break, do 2 sections (begining an old test), take a 10 minute break, and then doing 3 more sections (thus completing the second old preptest).  I have done this 2 of the last days, although today i took an hour long break before the 6th section  :-[  the other day i simply did 4 sections and quite after a test haha.
So any thought comments?  Im still scoring between 161-165 everytime, but i really feal like i could score a 170, if i cut and paste section scores together i have the capability, it just hasnt come together  :(
Anyway i guess im basically asking how much is too much and if im using the right methods to study

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taking LSAT preptests, real LSAT t-minus 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
i have actually taken 25 different preptests, and 5 of those i took twice

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
IMO, you should guage that by the progress you are making.  If you are consistently having the same results--and you want to do better--maybe forgo a couple of practice tests for additional studying. 

You have been working hard to prep.  Right now is your time to tweak. 

Good luck!!

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »
I took at least 1 preptest each day leading up to the exam, and reviewed with the bibles. If I needed to work on a particular section, I would drill individual LG games, RC passages, or AR sections.

See: How Can I increase my LSAT score in under 30 days?

totaltest.milan

• View Profile
    • total test prep
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »
If you're consistently scoring 161 - 165 then that might be because of problem areas - certain question types that you're having problems with more so than others.  If that's the case then I recommend singling out those question types and drilling them along with a preptest as opposed to doing two preptests.  Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.  If your errors have more of a random distribution then the issue might be that you simply need to develop your focus and endurance, in which case your strategy seems reasonable. 

I took an LSAT a day up to the day of the test, though always with just four sections.  I was scoring in the high 170s with a couple of 180s the week before the test and got a 172 on the real thing. 

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
Thanks for the good advice, i have changed my studying up since then.  Now i do just that, take one preptest a day (5 setcions) and then after a break i take 2 reading comprehension sections.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:14:49 PM »
june test be hardest ever.