Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone attending Widener, Harrisburg Fall 2011?  (Read 3490 times)

lawfirm666

• View Profile
    • Email
Anyone attending Widener, Harrisburg Fall 2011?
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
I am contemplating attending Widener this Fall and wanted to reach out to anyone doing the same. I got wait-listed by Temple and haven't heard anything on that front. So, it looks like its Widener for now. Any thoughts on off-campus housing in Harrisburg? What kind of experiences have people had while attending Widener?

Thanks

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone attending Widener, Harrisburg Fall 2011?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:40:51 AM »
I've been accepted to Widener Harrisburg campus for Fall 2011. I got rejected from Temple and waitlisted at Villanova. Still waiting to hear back from Drexel. If I get in there most likely I'll end up going there in the Fall. I went to Temple for undergrad and am from the Allentown/Bethlehem area so Philly calls to me a little more than Harrisburg. But as of now it seems likely I'll be going to Harrisburg in the Fall. Can't speak for housing or for the campus life of Harrisburg but I guess I'll be looking into getting an apartment or town house with several ppl.
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

lawfirm666

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
Getting wait-listed is a nightmare. I am in limbo about forking up the $400 deposit for Widener, in case I get into Temple. I was a bit apprehensive about applying to Drexel Law considering it only recently  got ABA accredited and is not a member of AALS.  I believe, a lot of good law schools require transfer students to be from schools who are ABA accredited and members of AALS. If, you have any thoughts about transferring later on you should think about this.   

lawfirm666

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
*which are accredited

LaShuanM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »
I will be attending Widener TAP at Harrisburg and if successful I'll start in the Fall.

lawfirm666

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I am trying to get an idea of what to expect my first semester. Shouldn't the TAP program be in full swing?  When do TAP students find out their admission status for fall?

Does anyone know what the job market is like for Widener grads this yr? 

LaShuanM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Harrisburg TAP starts May 24th, final exams are June 28th,  students are notified of acceptance about a month later. If I make it I'll be attending evening part time.

johnnysweet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
I made a campus visit and put my seat deposit down on fri. It was very nice, but also very quiet because it was the end of finals and I think most students had gone home already.
As far as the job prospects, the admissions office has some stats but they're not very detailed. I don't have the paper with me now but I will try to post some stats when I get home.

HaciM36

• Sr. Citizen
  • YUM YUM YUM
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HAC1M36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »
Getting wait-listed is a nightmare. I am in limbo about forking up the $400 deposit for Widener, in case I get into Temple. I was a bit apprehensive about applying to Drexel Law considering it only recently  got ABA accredited and is not a member of AALS.  I believe, a lot of good law schools require transfer students to be from schools who are ABA accredited and members of AALS. If, you have any thoughts about transferring later on you should think about this.

Tell me about it. I can't blame the schools for the seat reserve price as a seat for a full year is a lot of money coming into them.  I reserved my seat just in case but if I don't end up at Widener I'll miss that $400. lol Drexel is ABA accredited. If I transfer I'll be looking to transfer to Tempole or Villanova before Drexel. I dont know we'll see.
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forthfrom thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

johnnysweet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
Widener University School of Law ₯ ”
Harrisburg Campus: Class of 2010
Employment Report and Salary Survey as of February 15, 2010
I. Overall
Number of Graduates 122
Responses 105
Unknown 7
Not Seeking 10
ll. Respondents (105)
Employed (93)/Advanced Degree (6) 99 94%
Unemployed and Seeking 6 6%
IH. Employed (93)
A. Employment Status
Full —time Legal 66 71%
J .D. Preferred 10 1 1%
Full - time Professional 8 9%
Full — time Other Non Legal 1 1%
Part — time Legal 3 3%
Part — time Professional 4 4%
Working Type Unknown 1 1%
B. Employment Location (#- reporting location= 93) A
Pennsylvania 67 72%
New Jersey 13 14%
New York 2 2%
Maryland 3 3%
Remaining graduates are in California (1), District of Columbia (1), Florida (3),
Virginia (2), Europe(1) (9%).
IV. Full time Legal Employment (66)
Private Practice 29 44%
Judicial Clerkship 19 29%
Goverrnnent 9 14%
Public Interest 6 9%
Business & Industry 3 4%
V. Salagy for Full-time Legal Employment
Type of Employment Salary Range Average Median
Private Practice $23,000—$l05,000 $63,340 $58,200
Judicial Clerkship $30,000—$65,000 $45,240 $45,000
Government $37,500-$54,000 $44,700 $44,000