Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choosing between T4's  (Read 6145 times)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing between T4's
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
These horror stories are not made up BS, you SHOULD second guess your decision.  Instead of only listening to the people telling you what you hope to hear, you would be well served to listen to the words from people telling you what you don't hope to hear.  These messgae boards may be the place for some basic info and to develop your line of inquiry, but you need to get out into the real world and talk to people in practice.  You could very easily find local grads from these schools by going through the state bar - they would be glad to talk to you and give reliable feedback on pros and cons.  A life decision should not be made based on the words off an anonymous internet message board.

...I was stressed beyond belief and really REALLY second guessing my decision to go to school after reading post after post after post about the horror of the "TTT" schools. 

1225 . . . the answer as to whether you should do it goes to a core question of who you are.  If you know in your bones that you absolutely, positively must be a lawyer . . . good.  That's a good sign.  If, however, your commitment is any less than that, redouble your consternation.

Assuming the answer is affirmative, then the choice should relate not to the schools (!) or to the trees, or even to the money.  The choice of school should relate to, yes, you.  Where do you absolutely, positively want to be?  This is especially important with local (i.e., 3rd and 4th tier) schools.  Yes, if you do very well (such as top 5%), then you might have options.  But in the main your choice should be deeply personal.  Do you love Maine?  Rhode Island?  Massachusetts?  It's a fairly small community in New England, so it wouldn't be unheard of to find a job in Maine from Roger Williams, but even so, it will be harder.  If there's a clear preference, listen.

Be wary of chasing after money.  First, you can likely call the law schools that didn't offer money, tell them about the offers you do have, and see what they do.  A law professor with a new book out (Law School Undercover) reports just how successful this tactic is.  Second, getting a scholarship in first-year is no guarantee of keeping it, so look at the three-year picture.  Assume that you will NOT have a scholarship in years two and three.  For those who might not have seen it, here's a recent article:  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/law-school-grants.html?_r=1

And, as everyone has written, best of luck.  No one likes being the naysayer, and of course the market is sufficiently dismal there's plenty of fodder for doom.   If you're truly a lawyer itching to break out, fear not.  Law school can be a terrific avenue.  Just keep in mind what everyone's telling you, and DON'T keep in mind what everyone else does in first-year.  Be smart, be focused, be cool.  Enjoy law school.  (If you're not enjoying law school, something is wrong.  Hard work?  Sure.  Frustrating?  At times.  Exhausting?  You bet.  But fun!)

Best of luck,

Thane.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
Thane is always reasonable. The simple fact is go to law school if you want to be a lawyer. It sounds like you do and if you graduate from an ABA school and pass the bar you can represent a client and get a result. I have never once heard someone mention the name of their school in a courtroom or on any motion or pleading I have ever seen. Still a J.D. from Harvard is probably going to open more doors, but Harvard & T14 schools are not the right fit for everyone. The further I can get into legal education the happier I am with my own choice to attend a tier 4 school because my school works for "me", but what works for me does not work for everyone. What anyone wants out of law school is highly personal and subjective and I can never understand why people would go on an internet website and say unless x happens in law school it is utter waste of time and money. People have completely different expectations and want completely different things so when making this decision think about what "YOU" want. Use common sense of course there are people at my school who were shocked that numerous top 100 law firms were not coming to recruit for OCI and I don't what to say that. GGU is never going to have White & Case, O'Melveny & Myers, etc begging GGU career services to let them participate in OCI.  Just like when I played D II basketball I wasn't expecting NBA scouts to attend every game. Common sense can really take you a long way and it is something many law students seem to lack. Use it wisely when making your decision and get first hand facts when making it. I am sure it will work out.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »
I would modify this to say go to law school if you TRULY want to be a lawyer, have wanted to be a lawyer for a long time, and feel that your life will be incomplete if you do not go to law school.  In other words, go if you are dead-serious about becoming a lawyer and are not going in half-@$$ed.

Going into law school without a plan or because it seems like the thing to do this month/year is flat out stupid.

Thane is always reasonable. The simple fact is go to law school if you want to be a lawyer.