« on: May 11, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
erased

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ave Maria or Washburn? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »
I really think it matters where you want to live. Washburn will work fine in Kansas and Ave Maria will probably work fine in it's location. lawschooltransparency.com is a pretty good site where you can see actual salary numbers of graduates, which is far more than U.S. News provides.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=washburn&show=flow Washburn

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=avemaria&show=flow Ave Maria

It seems like the schools you are applying to are all over the map and the most important thing to consider when choosing a law school that is not T14 is the location. Don't take U.S. News seriously for schools of this caliber the whole system is a joke and adamanatly disapproved by the ABA and AALS. See this article from LSAC. http://www.lsac.org/JD/Choose/deans-speak-out-rankings.asp and http://www.lsac.org/LsacResources/Research/GR/GR-07-02.pdf

It is a little strange that Ave Maria moved across the country I have never heard of a University doing that, but it might be a good school I have no idea. If I was choosing I would probably go with Washburn it has been around since 1923 and Ave Maria since 2002 so I Washburn is likely to have more of a name and alumni willing to help you, but probably only in the Kansas mid-west area. It is impossible for Ave Maria to have anyone influential at this point since they have only been around since 2002. If you want to be in Florida though and you are very Catholic then it might work out for you.

Nobody can really tell you what the "right" law school is for you it is highly subjective, but location in my opinion should be your number #1 consideration unless you are going to Harvard, Yale etc. The odds are whatever low tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, tier 4 you attend is where you will end up.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
The real question is whether you like Domino's Pizza.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

AspiringBlackLawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
Are those your best choices?? OMG  Retake the LSAT man. Those schools are some of the worst in the nation. Dont wait till you graduate from law school to realize how important school ranking is.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:09:40 PM »
You should really only go to either of those schools if you 1) have a job as a lawyer lined up so it doesn't matter where you go, 2) are guaranteed not to pay a dime to go there and won't be out anything but time and possibly lost income, or 3) both.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

politicolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:50:25 PM »
I looked at Washburn, and that seems like the better choice. It definitely is more established, and also is a public law school- so clearly a lower tuition rate at least by the 2nd year. 

Also, Kansas has only 2 law schools, while Florida has 11.

if it pleases the court

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »
I was in the same situation seven months ago with one exception: it was either Washburn or Florida Coastal School of Law. I was so happy when I heard that I got into Washburn but then I realized that I wanted to practice in Florida and not Kansas. So I logged onto Law School Discussions to asked around (I think Bigs5068 also answered me). The answer I remember getting was that the ranking of those two schools was unimportant since neither was a Top 20 school and if wanted to practice in Florida then Florida Coastal was the better choice for me. I think that was decent advice. I heard Ave Maria is a good school. I feel very qualified in answering your question, and the bottom line answer is if you are looking to practice in Florida, then Ave Maria. If you are looking to practice somewhere else then I say Washburn. Good Luck!

Cereal_Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »
Are those your best choices?? OMG  Retake the LSAT man. Those schools are some of the worst in the nation. Dont wait till you graduate from law school to realize how important school ranking is.

This from a guy whose screen name is AspiringBlackLawyer. Are you really a non-black who aspires to be a black lawyer? I think you mean BlackAspiringLawyer, don't you? Before you insult someone unnecessarily, I think you should make sure your own house is in order, pal.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »

This from a guy whose screen name is AspiringBlackLawyer. Are you really a non-black who aspires to be a black lawyer? I think you mean BlackAspiringLawyer, don't you? Before you insult someone unnecessarily, I think you should make sure your own house is in order, pal.

That wasn't an insulting response. It's entirely accurate. Perhaps not put as tactfully or gently as it could've been, but that doesn't change the veracity of the statements. It wasn't even an insult to the poster; it was an insult to the schools. Those schools are some of the worst in the nation, and ABL showed faith in the poster's ability to improve by suggesting that he retake it and attend a school that will be of a ranking that will give him an opportunity to actually apply what he learned in law school.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:21:48 AM »

He may have been blunt and a bit harsh, but he was 100% on the money.  If people were truly speaking candidly, they'd probably echo the same sentiments.

You can bet that when they talk about people who graduate with six figures of law school debt and no job, they're not talking about people who graduated from Harvard and Yale. 

They're talking about people from the T4 schools.  Yes, I am also attending one, but I have no illusions about this.