Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How are remedial classes known?  (Read 1344 times)

b33kewl

• View Profile
    • Email
How are remedial classes known?
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
I took a remedial classes: Elementary Algebra 097 and 099 at a community college. And I'm looking at my transcript and it does list the grade I got in the class and quality points. However, my college explained that it was a Learning Support class. Learning support classes have a "%" next to it indicating that it is that. I consider learning support and remedial interchangeable and it is a remedial course but it states that it is learning support and list the grade points next to it.  It specifically states this:

"Grade Codes: % Learning Support (no degree credit)"

So would the learning support classes be counted?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How are remedial classes known?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
It doesn't matter if it counts towards your UGPA they will use it. I played college basketball and got 40 units of free A's in rigorous classes such as see piece of transcript below. Thanks to the ridiculousness that is U.S News rankings I got a scholarship to law school and someone that got B's in molecular biology did not.

Spr 2004    PEMA 25    THEORY OF BASKETBALL    1.00    A         
   Spr 2004    PEMA 5    VARSITY CONDITIONING    1.00    A         
   Spr 2004    PEMA 6    MEN VARSITY BASKETBALL    1.00    A         

SPR 2004    PEFI 2    CIRCUIT WEIGHT TRAINING    1.00    A         
C   SPR 2004    PEAC 4    BASKETBALL BIA *V*    1.00    A         

Anything a school can report to U.S. News as UGPA goes and they will report it. If you get a 4.0 in an MBA or Phd program they won't. So to answer your question if your classes were part of your Undergraduate work whether they were remedial basket weaving or advanced nuclear physics the grades count equally. Maybe if your apply to a t14 school they will look at the transcript otherwise it is likely to count the same and whether it was remedial or not won't matter.