Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why do you want to be a lawyer?  (Read 16216 times)

Beags

• I breath in, I breath out, I scream on the exhale.
    • View Profile
Re: why do you want to be a lawyer?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
The other one I'm curious about is DUI defense.  Unlike a lot of criminal law, a lot of these defendants have money and really need as favorable an outcome as possible.

And generally, DUI's are quick and easy.  If you're good and have a decent client, you can get the 1st knocked down to something a little less...embarrassing.  Or even keep the possibility of probation with eventual dismissal on the table during sentencing on the table.  I have personally seen a guy go from DUI 1st to "Public Intoxication" based on his attorney twice in two years.  Problem I've noticed is every other small-office lawyer out there knows it as well, and actively seeks DUI defendants through mailings after pulling the docket sheets for the same reason I used to see my father do a lot of wills and "no contest" divorces...they're quick, simple, and plentiful.  Good  "bread and butter" cases with little stress.

"Everyone goes to jail at some point in their lives.  If this statement doesn't apply to you, wait a couple more years."

tyler gaston

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:00:11 PM »
Falcon Jimmy,

You claim the reason being a lawyer is a more realistic choice for the OP is because if he fails miserably at least he has a law degree still. However, that isn't necessarily a compelling reason in favor of being a lawyer. It is still useless for the OP to go to law school and have that law degree if he hates being a lawyer. A law degree is a very expensive and roundabout way of achieving one's dreams. It may sound intuitive, but the OP should only go to law school if he wants to be a lawyer. If he doesn't then he should wait and try his dream or find a more efficient way of accomplishing what he really wants. Otherwise, he will have failed and wasted 100k and have a law degree that is useless because he hates being a lawyer. However, if he tries to go after his dream and fails at least he had that dream for awhile and will never have that regret that he never tried and the OP can always still go to law school then. I say the OP should go for it and not try to hedge his bets or anything with an extremely expensive degree that may be entirely useless to him.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »
My comment had more to do with the food service industry than it did with the law.  As much as a person should be careful when considering a law career, that advice holds true x 10 for the restaurant industry.  It's hard work, terrible hours, management nightmare with a phenomenal failure rate.  There are very few industries that I would advise a person to avoid at all costs, and food service is one of them

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
As a former restaurateur, and current lawyer, I would say that owning a profitable restaurant is more likely than graduating top 10% from a Tier 1 school. 

If that is her dream, law school would be an expensive waste.  My advice to someone who wants to own a restaurant is to think either franchise, or find a motivated seller with an established restaurant.  Starting a restaurant from scratch is difficult even for someone with many years of experience. 

NEVER GO TO LAW SCHOOL UNLESS YOU WANT TO PRACTICE LAW.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 11:08:41 PM »
As a former restaurateur, and current lawyer, I would say that owning a profitable restaurant is more likely than graduating top 10% from a Tier 1 school. 

Mike, do you think the average restauranteur makes six figures?  There is success in the law even for those who don't graduate top 10% from a Tier 1 school.

and those who graduate top 10% from a tier 1 school are going to make somewhere north of $150,000 in their first year after school.

How many restauranteurs can say that, regardless of how long they've been in business.

I agree that you should only get a law degree if you want to practice law. 

My comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but frankly, my advice to anybody considering buying or starting a restaurant is this:  most people go into business for improved family time, freedom to set their own schedules and to make more money than they could with a job..  The vast majority of restauranteurs don't get any of the those three things.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
My comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but frankly, my advice to anybody considering buying or starting a restaurant is this:  most people go into business for improved family time, freedom to set their own schedules and to make more money than they could with a job..  The vast majority of restauranteurs don't get any of the those three things.

A most interesting comparison, and having been in the restaurant biz (many, many moons ago), there are some interesting parallels.  Primarily, both restauranteuring and law tend to be winner-take-all scenarios if money is the goal.  Most restauranteurs earn modest profits, or worse.  Most lawyers, same.  The factors in each world are different, of course, but the drivers (location/motif/alma mater, ambition, hard work) are surprisingly consistent.  For MBAs, MDs, and, well, just about everyone.

The clarifiying question is:  Do you want law badly enough to devote three years and a quarter of a million dollars toward the credential?

The truth in life is that, almost without exception, success follows a LOT of hard work.  Moreover, the harder the work initially, the more likely the success, and the greater that eventual success.

Powers_79

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
I think that you should do what you want to do, so you should look into the resturant.  I attended undergraduate school with the idea of becoming a lawyer.  I enjoyed the research and was intrigued by the application of the law.  As with many people, life has a way of happening and I ended up in a career in Higher Education.  Higher Ed was good to me so I decided to pursue a Master's in Higher Ed Admin and work my way up, but my heart and soul wasn't in it.  For the last five year all I can tell you is that going to work for something that you don't truly enjoy is the most difficult thing in the world.  I loath every morning and am elated at 5:00 p.m. everyday.  The only positive thing I can say I got out of the last five years was my Master's Degree and that was done a while ago.  I decided that I needed a change, so I took the LSAT and am on my way to LS this fall.  I tell my students this, do what you truly want to do and it won't feel like work.  If you don't, than work is all it is.   

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
Higher Ed was good to me so I decided to pursue a Master's in Higher Ed Admin and work my way up, but my heart and soul wasn't in it.  For the last five year all I can tell you is that going to work for something that you don't truly enjoy is the most difficult thing in the world.  I loath every morning and am elated at 5:00 p.m. everyday. 

Sorry to read about your experience, Powers, which, unfortunately, is not all that unusual. 

It's hugely important to think--before entering a program--about what it is that attracts you to the program.  If it's things like "power," "money," and "prestige" . . . fine.  But be very, very sure that the actual day-to-day existence is at least roughly compatible with who you are. 

The truth in law practice is that even many top students from top law schools discover that they're really not interested in the 80-hour routine.  The key for all is twofold:  if that is a possibility, but sure you're ready, and if it's not you, focus early in different directions.  Happy is the law student who knows that it's an agency or other law office that is best.  Paradoxically, these students can actually do better than the nominal high-achievers, in large part because their efforts are focused.

MsjayQ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »
I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was 7. Whenever I read horror law school stories or about how much the law profession is dwindling, I always try to consider other career options. I always come back to law and because it is my passion, I hope that I would not be defeated by the fact that it takes a while to find a good job after law school and I may have to do things I don't care to do before I get to do the things I desire. I'm not doing law for the money so as long as I can live comfortably I will be okay.

I truly believe in following your dreams (as long as it's reasonable) and I don't think law is something anyone should go into if they are not passionate about it because I just can't imagine that it would be the most fun profession in the world.