Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to Start Studying?  (Read 545 times)

sara17w

• View Profile
When to Start Studying?
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:42:27 PM »
Hello All!
     I'm a senior in high school (I graduate in two weeks) and I want to go into law. I know that I canít take the LSAT until 3 years from now, but I'm wondering if I should start studying for it.
     I have a huge dream for my life. I want to go into international law and work for an organization that secures justice for victims of human trafficking. I know this is what Iím meant to do and I don't want to let this test get in my way.
    That being said, I don't consider myself overly bright. I got a 25 on my ACT and throughout high school I've never received anything above a C in math.
    I want to spend these next four years preparing myself for gaining entrance to law school, but am not how to do so. What would be the best plan of attack?
    Thank-you so much for your time!
         -Sara

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When to Start Studying?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »
     I'm a senior in high school (I graduate in two weeks) and I want to go into law. I know that I canít take the LSAT until 3 years from now, but I'm wondering if I should start studying for it.

Sara -

First, congratulations, both as to graduation and as to being very much ahead of the curve in knowing what you want.

The short answer is:  You don't need to worry about the LSAT or practice area yet.  It's very good to keep these in mind, but the primary focus should be in the following:  Doing very well in college, in a subject you genuinely care about; being careful about money; and being reasonably careful about everything else.

Doing well in college will give you options, including law school, and will also help you in preparation for the LSAT.  When the time comes, you should spend as much time studying for the LSAT as you spend in a full semester of study.  Here's where your foresight will pay off:  if you're planning your college years carefully, you can take a higher load during other semesters (and perhaps a summer or two), leaving a light load for the semester you'll be taking the LSAT.  Then, give the LSAT all you've got.  Don't worry about "not being good at math" (although you should try to get comfortable in math--it really does count). 

Law school is a marathon.  Nearly everyone treats it like a sprint--and it's natural to do so--but it's a marathon.  Take the following four years to prepare yourself for law school, and you will do very well indeed.

Thane.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: When to Start Studying?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
No need to be studying for the LSAT yet.  Focus on doing great in your new college classes.  There are classes, such as logic, that will help you do better on the LSAT; take it if you can.  Your primary focus right now should be to make an "A" in every class you take. 

Good luck!