Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to Law School With a Felony  (Read 4590 times)

margiecardin

• View Profile
    • Email
Applying to Law School With a Felony
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:22:22 AM »
I have been searching for some hard facts about getting into law school even though I am a conviced felon. I have found that, in Texas at least, a felony doesn't disqualify a person from admission to the bar if at least five years have passed since they completed their sentence. I haven't found out much else I can depend on, just a lot of differing, even contradictory, opinions. It seems that some people were not affected by their criminal history and some people were rejected outright on that sole basis. If a school is on the borderline about my application, they might see that felony and toss it. I don't know. My felony was DWI with a minor child. I was convicted in 2003 and released from probation in 2007.

What I'm going to do is wait until I get some decisions and post here again to let y'all know what happened. I am applying at St. Mary's, UT, South Texas, and U of H. I will post my numbers (LSAT/GPA) once I get them. I take the LSAT in June.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applying to Law School With a Felony
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
I have been searching for some hard facts about getting into law school even though I am a conviced felon. I have found that, in Texas at least, a felony doesn't disqualify a person from admission to the bar if at least five years have passed since they completed their sentence. I haven't found out much else I can depend on, just a lot of differing, even contradictory, opinions. It seems that some people were not affected by their criminal history and some people were rejected outright on that sole basis. If a school is on the borderline about my application, they might see that felony and toss it. I don't know. My felony was DWI with a minor child. I was convicted in 2003 and released from probation in 2007.

What I'm going to do is wait until I get some decisions and post here again to let y'all know what happened. I am applying at St. Mary's, UT, South Texas, and U of H. I will post my numbers (LSAT/GPA) once I get them. I take the LSAT in June.

Personally, I would think a DWI as a minor is not the type of thing that would keep you from the bar, but this is just a personal opinion.

The problem, in my opinion, is not getting into law school.  Each school sets its own admissions policies.

The problem would be going through 3 years of law school, accumulating six figures of debt, THEN not being admitted to the bar.

Again, I don't think that would be a problem in your case, but I think you should look for more definitive guidance before placing a $100,000 wager on red or black.  More definitive than what you get on an internet chat board, that's for sure. 

Although I doubt you could make an official inquiry to the state bar, perhaps you could find out who some of the members are, contact them personally, and ask them what they'd recommend for a person in your shoes.

margiecardin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
I did not get the felony as a minor, I got it with a minor. I had my daughter in the car with me when I got arrested. Sorry if I was unclear.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »
My recollection is that I know people admitted in Texas after a DWI.  The key is to be pennetant and show that you have recieved some sort of treatment.  Volunteering with a charity that helps alcoholics migh also look good for you. 

Take responsibility for it; no excuses.  For the current position on it, you should probably talk to someone at the Board of Law Examiners in TX.   It would be a shame to work so hard and not be eligible. 

On your applications, the offense will not hurt you.  How you explain it does, however, have the potential for damage.  You want to show that you accept responsibility for your actions, you've learned your lesson, and that it won't happen again.