Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worth Going to LS If...  (Read 509 times)

jajamoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Worth Going to LS If...
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
Looking for some advice to see if it's worth the plunge. Any advice would be helpful.

Because of not giving a *&^% the first few years of Undergrad, I ended up with a 2.61 UGPA (from a pretty small liberal arts university as a History major) and my LSAT score was just plain mediocre (150s). I applied to a bunch of law schools but due to my pretty awful GPA and very average LSAT score, I have a choice: I can go to either Appalachian School of Law or Florida Coastal School of Law. Now, the thing is, my dad put aside over $200k for my education before he passed away, so I will be pretty much debt free if I go to law school, wherever or if I go.

But is it worth it? I have heard some awful things about FCSL and I know Appalachian is down there, too. So, should I go get a law degree, even if it is in a bad place, if I"ll be debt free? If I do go, should I go in thinking of transferring? What are the chances of going from T4 to a good T1 school (or T14 even). I've heard that you shouldn't go into law school expecting to transfer out. I've been reading that it's crazy difficult (have to be top %5 or better coming from a T4) to get to a T1 school but I would be willing to put in the time and effort.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Worth Going to LS If...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:24:28 AM »
Why not take some time to study for, and retake, the LSAT?  It will only delay your life one year but could save you boatloads of money and bring better job opportunities.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »
Considering that nowhere in your initial post do you say anything resembling "I REALLY love the law and want to be a lawyer" my advice is to not waste the money.  $200K is a nice nest egg, why squander it on a lousy T4 law degree if you have no burning passion to be a lawyer?  The world is your oyster with that kind of money available for an advanced degree - take some time, think about it and pursue your true PASSION.  Find what will make you happy.  Ask yourself what you would LOVE to be doing 10 years from now... then lay out the education/career path to be doing it.  If you do that and you do not say to yourself "I absolutely know I want to go to law school and be a lawyer" then that is a reason NOT to go to law school - it would be waste of time and money.

Simple rule - only go to law school if you KNOW that you want to be a lawyer.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
I agree with the other posters.  Decide if  you want to be a lawyer (read should I become a lawyer) and if so, study for the LSAT and put a better application together.  If you think you are capable of getting to the top 5% of any law class, then you are should be capable of studying for the LSAT to get into the 170's and short circuit the whole transfer bit. 

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
Looking for some advice to see if it's worth the plunge. Any advice would be helpful.

In addition to the above advice, a question:  What do you love?