Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions needed - Albany or Quinnipiac Law School ?  (Read 1747 times)

LARRYH

• View Profile
Opinions needed - Albany or Quinnipiac Law School ?
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »
New York resident and will most likely practice in New York or New Jersey -

Albany acceptance with -0- scholarship
Quinnipiac acceptance with $20K/YR scholarship

Looking to practice Corporate or general business law....

All opinions welcome...

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Opinions needed - Albany or Quinnipiac Law School ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
It seems like Quinnipac might be better since you have a scholarship there. The schools are equal in price, prestige, in location roughly although being the Capital of New York might have some benefits for getting a job in the N.Y. State Government. I listed a link to a website called lawschooltransparency.com for each school, which lists REPORTED SALARIES for graduates and that appears equal as well. Lawschooltransparency unlike the ABA or U.S. News lists salaries opposed to the ABA/U.S News method of counting working as a fry cook at McDonald's equal to making 100k at graduation equally for employment.

Qunnipac 56K a year living expenses/tuition base. With the scholarship 36K a year with living expenses

Reported Salaries for Quinnipac
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=quinnipiac&show=flow

Albany would be 56K a year tuition/living expenses base .

Reported Salaries for Albany.
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=albany&show=flow

Since everything is roughly equal you might as well get out as cheaply as possible unless you have desire to live in Albany or the city Quinnipac is located in. Otherwise they are both two mid-level schools and you should probably just get out as cheaply as possible.

Just my two cents from a random source on the internet.

Tarheel Lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:09:30 PM »
I would agree with this last post assessment aside from one thing. Both of these schools are regional. Graduating from Quinnipiac might, and will likely, make it much more difficult for you to be practicing in NY/NJ. Unless you already have connections there or plan on opening your own firm, a NY/NJ firm will be more familiar with NY schools. Just two cents. I would only take Quinnipiac if you're willing to potentionally end up practicing in CT/Mass. Mind if I ask what your numbers were? I'm applying to Quinnipiac in the fall with a 3.2/160 and would love to know if I'm competitive for scholarships there.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »
I do not think that going to Albany would give one much of an advantage in proximity to NYC/NJ.

If one wants to set up shop in upstate NY than that is a different matter. Of those that I know from NYC, it appears that a large divide mental/social exist between the NYC area and upstate (which Albany would qualify), where as Southern CT, is viewed more as commuter area for the city. 

While Quinnipiac would be a heck of a commute, it is closer both physically (roughly 60 miles) and in perception to NYC.

Happy Hunting,

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »
Without that scholarship, I'd say Albany all the way.  There is so much State action there that helps the clerking and job seeking down the road.

What GPA do you have to keep to hold on to your Quinni money?  If its over a 2.5, they are expecting you to loose it, and I'd go with Albany.  If its is under 2.5, then, hmmmm Qunni might be a better choice to save some money.  Remember, law school isn't like under grad.  Everyone has a lower GPA than they are used to and getting above a 3.0 ain't easy or common.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."