Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: graduate degree = advantage / disadvantage / neither  (Read 398 times)

ExMed

• View Profile
graduate degree = advantage / disadvantage / neither
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
Hi,
I'm new here and have a quick questions.
I'm intending on applying to law school this far. I have a medical degree from a top tier foreign school (foreign not as in Caribbean but as in relatively prestigious  school (HYP level) in a non-US English-speaking country) and was wondering whether that will have any impact (positive or negative) on my admissions chances? GPA is slightly below 3.9, with an LSAT score of 174.

Thanks so much for the info. I tried using the search function in the top right corner of the website, but it just told me that I do not have permission to search the forum for whatever reason.

Cheers,
EM

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: graduate degree = advantage / disadvantage / neither
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »
It will be an advantage at the right school.  You have great LSAT/GPA combination which means that you will be an auto-admit in the majority of law schools.  In the auto-admit schools, it is technically neither an advantage or disadvantage (though you would be accepted, grad school had  nothing to do with it). 

Focus on the T14--but also consider where you want to live/practice.  In some places, T14 is outranked by a regional school.    Emphasize your ability to speak the foreign language.  A great PS could be themed on the lessons you learned/challenges you faced and overcame in grad school.  Put a positive spin on your switching professions.   

Anyone who gets to your application will consider it an advantage.