Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First LSAT practice test  (Read 6138 times)

nick90

• View Profile
    • Email
First LSAT practice test
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am taking a review course starting at the end of May. On the first day, there is a practice LSAT test. I was wondering what people usually score on their first try. Between now and then, I do not have time to review any sections so I will be taking the test completely cold. I want to know if people did terrible their first time taking the test and if their score went up significantly with some practice. I don't want to get a bad score and feel discouraged. With some prep and practice, I think I could do fairly well. Any info or feedback would be great.

Thanks!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First LSAT practice test
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
I was wondering what people usually score on their first try.

I did the sample test on the LSAC website, casually, and mostly untimed. 

I didn't prepare other than that.  Got a 159.  So, that was basically my first try.

Other than that, I wish I'd done the powerscore logic games bible, but don't have any other insights I'd give.

scenariosolver

• View Profile
    • www.scenariosolver.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »
The initial test is largely irrelevant.  I would not review for it nor would I worry about your initial score.  What matters is when you begin to study for the test.  The first test I ever took resulted in a 145.  I ended up with a 172. 
www.ScenarioSolver.com Video Solutions of all releasedLSAT Logic Games - 13$ a month unlimited access

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »
Just do your best on the initial test.  Hopefully, the course will identify any weaknesses you have and--with practice--you will get your score where you need it to be. 

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
I agree with Jimmy on this one.  The purpose of the initial test is to show your weaknesses.
LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
Check out my post here - http://www.onlawschool.com/39/what-should-i-know-before-taking-my-first-lsat-practice-test

I went from 151 to 177. I do not understand why anyone would tell you not to review your first exam. That is awful advice.

Why take the exam if you can't learn from it?  At the beginning stages, you should be much less worried about _how_ you do.... and much more worried about _how much_ you learn from the experience. If you don't review the exam, then you have just crushed your confidence and you have no reasonable idea WHY!

scenariosolver could not be more wrong. Sad that they are selling LSAT prep materials... scary.

jvaugh57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
The initial test is largely irrelevant.  I would not review for it nor would I worry about your initial score.  What matters is when you begin to study for the test.  The first test I ever took resulted in a 145.  I ended up with a 172.

Wow, Scenariosolver! You're about where I started on my first diagnostic.  What prep course (if any) did you take and how long and how much studying were you doing on average to get to 172???

scenariosolver

• View Profile
    • www.scenariosolver.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
Check out my post here - http://www.onlawschool.com/39/what-should-i-know-before-taking-my-first-lsat-practice-test

I went from 151 to 177. I do not understand why anyone would tell you not to review your first exam. That is awful advice.

Why take the exam if you can't learn from it?  At the beginning stages, you should be much less worried about _how_ you do.... and much more worried about _how much_ you learn from the experience. If you don't review the exam, then you have just crushed your confidence and you have no reasonable idea WHY!

scenariosolver could not be more wrong. Sad that they are selling LSAT prep materials... scary.

I thought I would follow up on this.  Your very first practice exam - the one that you take cold - I stated that you should not review for it.  Too many students let their egos get in the way and try to get a better score on the initial one than is necessary.  I have taught the LSAT for over seven years - the initial test is one jsut to give you an idea of the hell you are about to face.  The purpose of the test is really to scare you into studying for it hardcore.  If you have never seen the LSAT before and you sit down cold and take it, it is really not that helpful to go through the test and figure out what you have done wrong as you have NO idea of any solution strategies at that point.  Once you begin preparation then you must absolutely go through the test and understand what you have done wrong.  I have taught for three of the major prep companies and I can tell you that a review is not in order for the "cold test".
www.ScenarioSolver.com Video Solutions of all releasedLSAT Logic Games - 13$ a month unlimited access

scenariosolver

• View Profile
    • www.scenariosolver.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
I studied for the LSAT for approximately five months.  I worked through the PrepTests twice.  I was very good at reading comprehension but the rest of the test was difficult. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
I have taught the LSAT for over seven years - the initial test is one jsut to give you an idea of the hell you are about to face.  The purpose of the test is really to scare you into studying for it hardcore.

These are law students.  99% are already going to take the test seriously.  They're taking a practice test precisely because they take the test seriously.  They don't need to waste three hours of their time for nothing more than to be scared into studying.

If you have never seen the LSAT before and you sit down cold and take it, it is really not that helpful to go through the test and figure out what you have done wrong as you have NO idea of any solution strategies at that point.  Once you begin preparation then you must absolutely go through the test and understand what you have done wrong.  I have taught for three of the major prep companies and I can tell you that a review is not in order for the "cold test".

So you shouldn't start learning about the test until you've started learning about the test??  I disagree.

And sorry, but review is not all about "solution strategies" as if beating the test was all about using some prep company's "tricks."  The initial review is about self-awareness and getting a general idea of one's own strengths and weaknesses right off the bat.

It would be useful to know, for instance, that the jumbled technique you used for the third logic game didn't work well or that answering RC questions without going back to the passage was a bad idea.  If you just take your 145 or whatever from the first practice test and fail to explore it further, you're giving up a whole lot of the payoff for spending 3+ hours taking the stupid test.