Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Slightly Discouraged Science Major  (Read 2800 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slightly Discouraged Science Major
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »
Or you can simply take prep classes and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (which is a b*tch BTW - I've taken it).  Passing the FE is a lot easier, less time-consuming, and cheaper than 3 years of law school

Okay, stop (collaborate and listen...)

You mean you can qualify for the patent bar by passing one exam?  Fundamentals of Engineering?  do you have a web-site for more info on this?  Which prep-courses are out there?

Does this qualify a person to work for the federal government in the patent and trademark office as an attorney?  (Provided they pass the patent bar, of course.)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »
And while I'm at it, passing the patent bar without a law degree makes you a patent agent, not a patent attorney, right?  Or am I confused, here?

GC_Chem_BU

• My metal blog: www.metalpedagogy.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
My next question was FalconJimmy's question. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread ... finals are tomorrow!

All of your suggestions have been amazing so far, thank you so much everyone!
Purdue University '13
Major: Chemistry
Minor: Management
GPA: 3.0
Currently studying for December 2011 LSAT.

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »
I just finished law school, am a science major, and will be doing IP law, so maybe I can offer you some insight.

The patent bar requires you to have a bachelors degree in science or engineering.  There is a list of majors that qualify you to take the patent bar.  If you don't have one of those majors you can also qualify by taking a certain number of science classes in designated areas.  Chemistry isn't a listed major, but I would guess you could qualify based on the courses you have taken.  Check out this website for info about the patent bar.  http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf.  Passing the Fundamentals of Engineering exam is one way of qualifying to take the patent bar, but since you have a science major there is no reason to take it because you would likely qualify anyway.  It doesn't make sense for a Chemistry major to try to take an engineering exam anyway.

You do not need to go to law school to take the patent bar.  If you pass it without going to law school, you will not be a patent attorney, you will be a patent agent.  This means you can prosecute (write) patents, but cannot litigate patents (go to court to invalidate a patent or uphold a patent).  Therefore, if you only want to write patents and have no desire to go to court, then taking the patent bar might be a better idea for you than law school.  If you go to law school but don't take the patent bar, you can litigate patents but you cannot write patents.  The only way to be qualified to write patents is passing the patent bar, whether you go to law school or not. 

Boston College Class of 2011!