Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP! I desperately need some advice!  (Read 1484 times)

ILovePoliSci

• View Profile
HELP! I desperately need some advice!
« on: April 21, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
I'm 18 and I'm currently a senior in high school but I'm also enrolled in the Running Start program, where one can earn both high school and college credits.
I'm attending a local community college therefore and will have earned 45 credits (my CC is on the quarter system) by the end of this June, when I'll graduate from high school.

I'm pursuing an AA right now at my community college and I'm double majoring in Political Science and Psychology - because I love those two subjects :)
I wanted to go to law school since I was really young - mostly because my cousin is a lawyer and I was able to go to court with her and look over her shoulder a lot of times, and I know 100% that I want to become a lawyer myself.

Anyways, I really need some advice!

I applied to three universities and got accepted to Washington State University and the U of Idaho but rejected from my #1 school, the University of Washington in Seattle.
I visited WSU and I really didn't like it because of its location even though they'd give me a full tuition scholarship... I just don't think I'd be happy there.

Right now my community college cum. GPA is a 3.4 - after two quarters so it should go up - but if I'd stay next year and would finish up my AA and then transfer - could I still get a really high GPA in just one year? I'd transfer in as a junior and I'd take the LSAT as a junior in June, I think. I'm already preparing for the LSAT so I hope I'll be okay by then.

Is it a mistake to turn down two universities for community college?

I'm afraid that it won't be possible for me to get stellar grades in just one year at an university.

I also don't know how hard the transition would be as a transfer.
I was shocked, honestly, when I found out that my GPA would not transfer from my CC to an university and that I'd have to start from 0 all over again.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP! I desperately need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
Your GPA for law school purposes will be ALL undergraduate coursework.  So, whether the university that you will transfer into doesn't accept your classes towards your GPA, that doesn't matter.  LSAC will, and that's what the law schools will consider.

ILovePoliSci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »
Your GPA for law school purposes will be ALL undergraduate coursework.  So, whether the university that you will transfer into doesn't accept your classes towards your GPA, that doesn't matter.  LSAC will, and that's what the law schools will consider.

Thank you so much!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »
You seem to really have your eye on the prize - a good thing for someone so young.  For you, sounds like undergrad will be a waypoint on way to a good law school.  If I were you (and your parent since thats more my age) I would be looking at that full scholarship and seriously considering it.  One can generally "be happy" just about anywhere, and I find it hard to believe that UW is such a miserable slum that one would be unable to find friends/activities outside of academics.  Without scholarship law school will run well over $100K, so you should be thinking about (1) minimizing school-related debt goinig in, (2) maximizing GPA to help get you in a good law school and to get scholarship money, and (3) maximizing LSAT score for same reasons as #2.

Also, keep in mind that you NEVER know what sort of curve ball life will throw at you to change your plans - so be flexible.  I'm not talking about bad things... it's mind-warping to look back at how seemingly small decisions end up changing the course of your life.  Be ready... well, you can't be ready... be flexible and able to adapt.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
You should go to University if you are committed to making "A's" in each course.  Undergraduate, unlike law-school, is a place where working harder translates to higher grades.   

Law schools initially consider only 2 factors: LSAT and GPA.  Think of it like a doorway--if those combined scores are not high enough, the school won't even look at your application.  Once you are inside the door, your application will either be accepted or reviewed.  It will be accepted if your scores are high enough.  If it is reviewed, grades from a University will be viewed much more favorably than those from a CC.

If you have a full ride, you should strongly consider taking it.  You might have to put some distance between you and your friends for right now, but its only temporary.  You will find a way to have fun and be happy!!

Keep in touch and let us know how it works out for you!