Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Probably the hundredth question like this you've seen but...  (Read 686 times)

amd327

• View Profile
Probably the hundredth question like this you've seen but...
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:10:19 AM »
   I don't really know who else to ask and I think everyone's situation is slightly different, but
I don't really know where I stand on the chances of getting into which law schools so I figured maybe someone could let me know what level schools to apply to. Also, my school's pre-law advisor is horrendous and on "leave".
    I have a 3.79 and have a 166 LSAT, and am a Political Science major with minor in Philosophy. Which I know is not very unique compared to the other graduating aspiring lawyers, but I kind of have some other stuff that I think stands out. (Emphasis on "I think") So I will just lay it out for you.
-I took two years off of school, honestly just because I didn't want to go. After some length of time spent in the sun and mediocrity, I decided to go back to school. My first semester back I managed to get a 3.5 for 12 credits and transferred to a private liberal arts school.
-When I got to the new school I seriously became my schoolwork. I took 21 credit fall/spring semesters, did summer semesters with 24 credits, and did spring break/winter break courses. I was able to get my remaining 108 credits in 1.5 years; my schools requires 123 so with my previous credits I met the criteria.
-Obviously because I raised my GPA my grades have been good, dean's and president's list and all that but I also have done other stuff listed below.
-Phi Sigma Rau (Philosophy Honor Society)
-Phi Alpha Theta (History Honor Society)
-I've lectured to my entire school as the only student with a faculty panel on sustainable development and micro-finance.
-I'm scheduled to lecture this month at the Research Symposium on international health politics.
-I work elections as a member of a non-partison watchdog group (Committee of Seventy)
-I was just recently nominated to be my school's representative at the Global Women's leadership Conference this summer
-I volunteer at the suicide hotline
-I am the president of STAND (Students Take Action Now Darfur) for my school's chapter
-I am the research member for Bridges to Swaziland (Orphans and Vulnerable Children)
-I volunteer as a staff member at a local long-term drug/alcohol treatment center
-And I also work at a clothing store in my area part time, and part time as a promotions girl for a tobacco company

I have no idea whether any of that makes any difference at all, but its about time I start figuring where I want to go. I am hoping that if I don't have the extra-curriculars that the fact that I kept a 3.85 while going to school non-stop at a high work level (at my second school, hence its still only a 3.79) will help?  I know I want to be a lawyer; it's something I have wanted since I was like 15. When I came back to school the reason I busted my butt so hard was because I wanted to be able to get into a great school so that I could have all the options I wanted. But now I don't know what they are, so if anyone can let me know what kind of schools I have a high/low chance at getting into I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Ann

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Probably the hundredth question like this you've seen but...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
I'd say your chances of getting into a great school are very good.  However, that depends on what you describe as "great".

You can see an idea of your chances using this site:

https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:21 PM »
lawschoolnumbers.com is also a great site to see what schools your numbers can get you into. It also shows scholarship money and that is an addition the LSAC chart doesn't show, but both are great sites to answer admission questions.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:02:05 PM »
Your qualifications look great for all but the top 14 schools.  But, even some of those are a legitimate reach for you. 

IMO, the analysis of what school to attends begins with a determination of where you want to live/practice after graduation.  Once you know that, identify the top feeder law schools for that market and check your chances at the best ones. 

Sometimes a strong regional school gives you better opportunities than anything other than top 5.  Spend some time chekcing it out, and then go to lawschoolnumbers.com to get an idea about your chances. 

Your next big hurdle will be to decide whether to attend a lower-ranked school for cheap, or attend a higher-ranked one with debt.  The answer to this question will also depend on where you want to live/practice.

Good luck!! And, please let us know what you decide.  (it helps future readers of your post) 

amd327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:44:03 PM »
Thank you guys so much for replying so quickly.. wow you all rock. I spent basically all day trying to figure out which school would be my top pick if I could go anywhere... and I've decided that UC Berkeley would be my number one choice. I checked on the sites and they mostly said Berkeley was relatively close to where I could go, and I am hoping that if I write an awesome personal statement maybe that would boost my chances even more? I am pretty good at writing, and I have a fairly decent understanding of what they do not want. I also have really good LOC's, which I am told do not count as much but hey I'm being optimistic. My teacher and head of my major are both huge supporters of mine; they are always nominating me for research awards and honors studies, and they have both said they would be honored to write my recommendations. They also know me extremely well as we have worked on research projects together for fun. Does Berkeley seem like too far of a stretch? I have several more credits that my schools is letting me replace since they were transferred, so I believe I can get my GPA to a 3.82 (if I did my math correctly) maybe that would give me a few extra brownie points?? Thanks again you guys were SO helpful and so quick, I really really appreciate it.

Starlett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
My best advice to you is to apply to a variety of schools.  Your credentials are great and each of the top schools will evaluate you differently.  Apply to a few top schools and a few "safety" schools just in case.  There is no sense in trying to determine or asking other people to rate your chances at any school.  It can go either way.  I know that I was rejected by some schools ranked lower than certain law schools that accepted me.  Use your application package to get across all your other wonder attributes so the selection committee has the full story.  Good luck!

Star
2006 Harvard Law School Grad
www.thestarlawapplicant.com
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Law-Applicant-Attaining-ebook/dp/B0050CKVNE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1305663332&sr=8-3