Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A question about how to choose among T14  (Read 856 times)

Kelly Li

• GPA: 4.0 LSAT: about to take in Oct/11
    • View Profile
A question about how to choose among T14
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
I am applying for Law school next year. I want to apply for several schools in T14, but I am wondering which ones I should apply for. I did some research about those schools. I think they are all very good in terms of all law fields.
So, generally speaking, how many schools do you guys apply for in total?

Zeratul

• View Profile
Re: A question about how to choose among T14
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »
What're your numbers because it really depends on your target range...

If you have a 4.0 / 180 you shouldn't bother applying for anything lower than NYU, but if you have <3.5 / <165 you need to carpet bomb the entire T14 and pray that at least one will take you (probably none will unless you're URM)

Kelly Li

• GPA: 4.0 LSAT: about to take in Oct/11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:37 PM »
What're your numbers because it really depends on your target range...

If you have a 4.0 / 180 you shouldn't bother applying for anything lower than NYU, but if you have <3.5 / <165 you need to carpet bomb the entire T14 and pray that at least one will take you (probably none will unless you're URM)

Well, thanks. :)

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
It also depends on what part of the country you want to settle down in.  The top 5 do well anywhere.  IMO, the next 9 don't fall regionally by thier ranking.  For instance NYU will not do as well in CA as Berkely.  If you want to live in TX, UT (#15) is better than 5-14. 

recentgrad10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:58:16 AM »
I know it seems far away, but you really need to think about where you want to live after law school.

HYS (Harvard, Yale, Stanford) are a given and assuming you have a decent LSAT score (in the high 160's), with your prefect GPA you should have a shot (though it's by no means a guarantee, as extracurricular activities, where you went to undergrad, your major, and any work experience also play important roles - not to mention personal statements and references). These three schools give you the best job opportunities on a national level. The real question is where else to apply?

After the top 3, it starts getting slightly more regional. Not that going to NYU or Chicago will not allow you to get a job in CA, but you will have fewer chances (fewer firms travel that far for OCI), especially if you are not at the top of your class (which I know is probably hard to imagine for a 4.0 student, but law school is not undergrad!). Also worth adding is that Northwestern is notorious for not accepting students right out of college, so if you haven't had some work in between it's probably one worth skipping, and Chicago placed an emphasis on academia/theory and therefore appeals to those who want to teach (or possibly clerk), so you have to think about whether that is the right environment for you.

Just really think about where you want to live when you graduate, and pick the best school in that area. Generally stick to the T14 (if your LSAT scores allow this), but it's okay to stray a little farther down the rankings. For example, UT and UCLA/USC are outside the T14, but if you want to live in Texas or LA, they are a better bet than anywhere except maybe the top 6 and Berkeley (if you want to be in CA).

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I applied to around 10 schools (accepted into 5), and ended up at UCLA even though I got in to 2 T14 schools because they were not in the top few and were across the country (I wanted to stay in CA). Definitely the right decision for me.

Good luck!