Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech Vs. University of Baltimore  (Read 494 times)

Albeni1986

• View Profile
    • Email
Texas Tech Vs. University of Baltimore
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
Can't decide where I should go.
Texas Tech is cheap but in the middle of nowhere.
University of Baltimore is double the price compared to texas tech but in a big enough city.
Ranking is 117 for both schools.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Tech Vs. University of Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:28:01 AM »
Personally, I think when you're talking about schools with those rankings, the rankings matter pretty much not at all, unless they're in a city where there are other ranked schools.

To me, when you're talking schools of that caliber, the one and only criteria is where you want to practice.  Tech will probably give you access to jobs in TX.  Baltimore, maybe in the city of Baltimore.

One strike against Baltimore is that it is surrounded by an absolute host of clearly superior schools.  I don't think Tech is lowly regarded in TX.  It's not UT, but it's sorta in the mix with Baylor and all the other competent Texas schools.

The economy in the Northeast is not really growing.  The economy in TX is growing.

So, where do you want to live?  Neither degree is very portable outside it's local area, but Baltimore's might very well be just Baltimore itself, and even there, there are so many other vastly superior schools within spitting distance that you either need to place very, very high in your class or set your sights on lower paying jobs in Baltimore. 

Tech will travel well anywhere in the state of Texas.

Personally, I'd go to Tech if given that choice.  Lubbock is a fun town.  Been there twice.  Known a few people who went to Tech and they love it.  There is stuff for a student to do in Lubbock.  Not much for anybody other than a cowboy to do, other than that, though.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech Vs. University of Baltimore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »
Just echoing FalconJimmy: go where you would like to live.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?