Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minor VS Internship opportunity, etc.  (Read 378 times)

lv101

• View Profile
Minor VS Internship opportunity, etc.
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »
Hello everyone, I've been a reader of this forum for about 4 months now but this is my first post. I have two questions:

1) Does a minor matter? I can graduate this fall 2011 from Arizona State University but with a 3.4 GPA only. If I decide to do a minor which would last me another semester and I can graduate May 2012, I can bump my GPA up to at least Magna Cum Laude status. Reason I ask this is because my previous GPAs from community colleges are completely terrible and I want to look good for admissions. Of course I need to have a great LSAT score, but that goes without saying. OR, would it look better if I just do an internship and concentrate on studying my LSATs (I plan to take October 2011) and stick to Cum Laude status. I am a Justice major and was planning to do a political science minor.

2) If I did get accepted in ASU Law, is it far fetched to take the bar exams in Georgia? I am originally from Atlanta and want to live there after law school, however my entire family has moved Southwest so I feel it's much smarter to stay here in AZ for as long as law school lasts and then move to GA.  I know some people who graduated from Emory for example and then take the bar exams in NY. I heard too that a lot of employment depends on which state you study in.

Thanks for the replies in advance!

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Minor VS Internship opportunity, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »
1) IMO, all else being equal, a .1-.2 improvement in GPA is more valuable than an internship. To qualify the statement, however, I am assuming that you have other activities on your resume to satisfy the admission folks.

2) Its not far-fetched to go to school in AZ and then take the GA bar.  You will have more difficulty finding work in GA than you would if you went to school there.  But, having a connection to the area will help to some degree.  The problem is going to be contacts.  If you want to end up in GA from an AZ school, you should spend your law school summers in GA interning/clerking. 

Good luck!

lv101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice. Apart from raising my GPA and studying my ass off to get a great grade for LSATs, what else can I do to get the law school admissions to give me a chance?

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »
I am a contributor at Law School Coach, you can click on my signature or this link and explore the free pre-law information.