Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with the Logic reading section (17/27)  (Read 687 times)

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Help with the Logic reading section (17/27)
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »
I normally score around 20-22 for the 3 other sections, but for the logic reading section i have to slow down in order to answer the questions correctly and then end up not being able to complete more than 3 of the passages. 
The test i took last is a perfect example: I finished 3 passages and scored a 16/21 and then had to guess on a passage and got just 1/6 for a combined 17/27
I already read the LR powerscore bible and will be rereading it soon, but does anyone have some advice on how they spead up through the LR section?
I have until the June LSAT to study

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Help with the Logic reading section (17/27)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
You might consider a commercial prep course or tutor.  It will be worth it--this section is half the test.

In general, becoming familiar with the different kind of questions is important.  You might also read up and study about logical inferences and fallacies.  Here's the general process I used to get ready:

1. Read the question first so that you know what you will be looking for.

2. Read the paragraph. Pay attention to modifiers such as: all, none, some, most, every, if, only if, unless, etc. These types of words play important roles in the argument.

3. If the paragraph presents an argument, identify the conclusion of the argument.

4. Evaluate the argument. Make sure you identify the relationship between the premises and the conclusion. Spot any flaws.

5. Pre-phrase an answer. Predict an answer based on knowing the question and reading the passage.

6. Go to the answer choices. If none of the answers matches your pre-phrased answer, or is similar, eliminate choices until you have only one or two possibilities remaining.

Good luck!

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
sorry,
i meant reading comprehension, not logic reading. 

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »
No problem.  A prep course is still the way to go.

Otherwise, don't underline or highlight.  Instead, write notes on the test.  Note the main points, skim over examples and details supporting the main points.  If a question mentions a specific point or detail, reread before answering. 

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:52:17 AM »
Thanks for the tips Mike, i have reread the reading comprehension bible and took a few pages of notes.  I think this bible is probably the least helpful, but i did come away with some new thoughts.
I like the idea of not marking the passage too much also, although i still have to test it out on a few preptests.  I can read the passage in around 2 minutes if i dont mark it up much, and i might even become a more active reader.

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »
In my experience slowing down when reading the passage is a much more productive than a quick read.  You must retain the information before you can answer the questions.  You want to see the passage like a seleton.  Meaning that you want the purpose of each paragraph to be identified.  I agree that a bunch of lines through the text is not helpful.  Spend more time reading and understanding the passage, then proceed to the questions.  This is very much akin to the logic games.
LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
In my experience slowing down when reading the passage is a much more productive than a quick read.  You must retain the information before you can answer the questions.  You want to see the passage like a seleton.  Meaning that you want the purpose of each paragraph to be identified.  I agree that a bunch of lines through the text is not helpful.  Spend more time reading and understanding the passage, then proceed to the questions.  This is very much akin to the logic games.
LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
arc, its always good to hear from both sides of the argument.  Frankly I think that weather you need to speed up/slow down depends on what side of the spectrum your coming from.  I know Ps recomends that you read it in near 3 minutes, with 3:30 being the absolute most and i was taking near 4 minutes.
Also, PS states that only 60% of RC questions are global, for the remaining 40% you should return to the text anyway.  So reading with a global reference mindset makes sensse.  We seem to agree on this topic