Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC Application Process  (Read 590 times)

legallybrunette1

• View Profile
LSAC Application Process
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
So I was just perusing the LSAC website and had a few questions...

1.) If my LORs are compiled on Interfolio, a private site which manages LORs, should I have them sent to LSAC or directly to the schools? Is there a difference?

2.) I keep hearing all this talk about an LSDAS GPA. Is there somewhere on the LSAC app that I would input my grades or is it just based on the transcript that I submit to LSAC?

3.) Is a resume typically submitted with an LSAC app, or is all of the information (professional/volunteer experience) inputted somewhere on the application itself?

Thanks!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAC Application Process
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »
<< should I have them sent to LSAC or directly to the schools? Is there a difference?>>

I didn't apply to many schools, but they all wanted the LORs to come from LSAC.  I suppose if there were just no way to do it, you could always ask the admissions office if the recommenders could send LORs directly to the school, but that seems like way too much work for everybody.

The upside to sending them to LSAC is that recommendation letters usually aren't specific to the school you are applying to.  As such, you send them once to LSAC, and getting them to each school is as easy as the click of a mouse.

<<2.) I keep hearing all this talk about an LSDAS GPA. Is there somewhere on the LSAC app that I would input my grades or is it just based on the transcript that I submit to LSAC?>>

They calculate it for you based on your transcripts.

<<3.) Is a resume typically submitted with an LSAC app, or is all of the information (professional/volunteer experience) inputted somewhere on the application itself?>>

I think there's a place to upload it.  Most of the schools require you to fill out an application for admission that is separate from the stuff in LSAC.  (You still submit it THROUGH LSAC, but it's the school's document, not LSAC's).  You can put that information, there. 

When you start putting your credentials into LSAC, the schools all have different criteria.  They basically all want LSAT and transcripts.  Some require LORs.  Some want a personal statement.  One of the schools wanted a resume, so I uploaded one.

When you start submitting your stuff to LSAC and start applying, it'll get a lot clearer.  I think LSAC is a great service and worth every penny, especially if you're applying to a lot of schools. 

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: LSAC Application Process
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
1.  LOR's have to go to LSAC with the correct form completed by your recommender.

2.  LSAC GPA is based on a 4.0 for each hour you attempted.  Sometimes it's the same if you only went to one school and they are on a 4.0 scale.  On the LSAC website, I think they give you numerical values used to compile this. 

3.  Your resume will usually be submitted to the law school through LSAC.  You will also have to input much of the information on the law school application.  Do not put "see resume."