1 (100%)
Howard Law
 0 (0%)
Still waiting on Cardozo May Part-time
 0 (0%)
Waitlisted at University of Maryland
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Rutgers Newark vs. Howard Law  (Read 1502 times)

sa1135

• View Profile
    • Email
Rutgers Newark vs. Howard Law
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
Okay so I've gotten into a bunch of schools but here are my current contenders Rutgers Newark and Howard Law. Possible contenders Cardozo May Part-Time and Univeristy of Maryland. I am from New York and my family is here. I ultimately want to practice in New York, but Im not close minded to practicing else where. I hear great things about each one of these schools, but I'm still confused which is the best for me. Please help !

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Rutgers Newark vs. Howard Law
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Rutgers, unless you get into Cardozo.

sa1135

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »
Hey Mike, thanks for your suggestion. Could you please give me your reasoning ? Also, are you in school now or your soon to be ?

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:12:50 PM »
I am a practicing appellate attorney. 

The reasoning is that a decent NY-area school will give you a better opportunity in NYC than going to school in DC.  You stated that you want to be in NYC and have family ties to the region.  The connection to NYC will help when it comes time to get a job. 

In NYC, Cardozo is better than Rutgers.   

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »
Yea if you know where you want to end up go to school in that location.  I am assuming you will get in-state tuition at Rutgers if not Howard will be 10k a year cheaper, which is something to consider. Howard is 23k a year and Rutgers in-state is 23k. Cardozo is 42k a year, which is steep. I am far from an expert in New York Law Schools, but I don't know how much better Cardozo is than Rutgers. I don't know if it would be worth 60k more a year to go to Cardozo with so many other top schools in the NY area.

When choosing a non T-14 school, which you go to period. These are the factors I think you consider.

1. Location-if you know where you want to live then best bet is to go to school in that location. If there is a regional ranking try to attend the most respected school in the region.

2. Cost-  If one school is 4th place in their market and the 6th place school in the area will be 80,000 cheaper it might be better to attend the 6th place school in the area.

3. Any Personal Interests: If you want to or think you want to do employment law for example and one school offers employment law, labor law, has an employment law clinic then that could be a tie breaker. You can look at the course schedule of any school and see what courses and clinics they offer.

4. Subjective Viewpoint: Visit the schools and see how you feel about each one certain places give you a good feel others do not. When I was choosing my school I visited 8 places some school impressed me with their administrators etc others did not. There was also just a feel you could see by how students interacted with eachother. Some people might like a cut-throat environment and others might like a more relaxed atmosphere. This is really subjective and something only you can get a grasp on, but you need to experience it first hand. No website or second hand knowledge will suffice.