Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where are you now? Let's hear from the 2010 (or around about) grads!  (Read 1320 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I just randomly decided to check out this board again, and I was looking back fondly over all my posts from way back in 2006 when I was freaking out over applying to law school.  Now I'm almost a year out, and feeling nostalgic about the "good old days" of both undergrad and law school.  I was wondering if any of the old posters who started and finished law school when I did (2007-2010 or whenever really) were still lurking about??

What are you guys doing now?  I'm finishing up a Fellowship with the General Counsel Section at my city, working part time as a managing attorney in my state for a national firm, and starting my own solo practice in the 'burbs (with the help of some attorneys who posted an ad on craigslist for the office space - they are allowing me some time to get established before I start paying a reduced rent, and then eventually an equal share of the rent).

Do you miss law school?  Do you regret going or are you glad you went?  I miss law school!  I miss the academic and fraternal environment.  I'll admit I'm a school nerd, so that's probably why!  I don't regret going, but I never expected to be doing what I'm doing now!  I wish I'd done some things differently in law school to prepare me for solo practice, but as it is, I'm just figuring it out as I go along!

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you now? Let's hear from the 2010 (or around about) grads!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
Reunion time!  :D

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
Clerking for a state appellate judge.  I miss some of the people from law school, but not the endeavor itself.  My work/effort/stress is much more rewarding now.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:06:38 AM »
I'm a 1st year tax associate in NYC biglaw. I doubt I would be where I am today without LSD. I'm still disappointed the "other"forum ended up taking all the traffic. We had a good group.

I miss certain things about being a student (such as sleeping until noon on weekdays), but I'm glad to be getting my career underway.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:39:25 AM »
Vaguely curious, if you don't mind:  which firm in NYC?  A bunch of my old law school buddies are there...

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
1st yr litigation associate at a big firm in DC.  Yep, miss law school but also glad to get the career underway as well.
HLS 2010

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
selling chinese organs for profit.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »
Wow it's really neat to hear from everyone :)  So many biglaw folks! ;)  Personally, I'm really enjoying "smalllaw" ... much more laid back, and I make my own schedule (except when I have to make appearances in court for my contract work).  Things are on track, and going solo is MUCH less difficult and complicated than law school implies.  For me, I felt like law school put up this mystique around practicing on your own, telling us that it was difficult and stressful and there are so many mistakes you can make.  They barely explained IOLTA accounts, ethics, running a business, etc.  Now it seems silly that I used to be terrified of going out on my own, b/c it is doable and A LOT of attorneys do it!

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »
P.S. What is the "other board" ???  I can't remember what it's called!