Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Rankings by Practice Area  (Read 3055 times)

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Law School Rankings by Practice Area
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 02:05:23 PM »
Graduating from South Texas, even if you are on the moot court team, will NOT give you the same opportunities in Texas that UT does.  For one, most bigger firms (or boutiques that are formed from large-firm partner defections) will not even look at a South Texas grad for an entry-level position unless he/she is within the top 5% of the class.  Those firms would, however, be willing to consider a UT grad that was further back in the class rankings.

Moot court members as STCL, won't be on par with UT law review, but they will get some interviews.  My point is that in the Houston market for sure, STCL moot court grads will get similar opportunities as undistinguished UT grads.  And, I have no doubt that the successful moot court grads have no trouble finding a job.

Here is an article I found:
South Texas College of Law Wins National Advocacy Competition

February 28, 2011--South Texas College of Law students picked up the school's 107th national advocacy competition title this past weekend in Virginia.

The team of John Crump, Mira Haykal, and Nick Parker won the 40th Annual William B. Spong, Jr., Memorial Moot Court Competition sponsored by the College of William and Mary, defeating New York University School of Law in the final round.

The students argued a hypothetical case dealing with Congressional power to withhold cost of living raises from federal judges. The team was coached by Associate Dean T. Gerald Treece, Rob Galloway '91, Courtney Carlson '08, Jessica Sykora '08, and Paige Woodard Mitchell '05.

I bet that none of these kids are in the top 10% of their class, and all will have no trouble finding work. 

But, the point was that rankings go out the window when you are trying to practice in a particular location.  Not that STCL would ever be ranked ahead of UT law.  I used it as an example of a situation where some T4 students are competing with a T1 school.  I guarantee STCL moot court students have an advantage over a Michigan grad in Houston.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 02:31:31 PM »
My point is that in the Houston market for sure, STCL moot court grads will get similar opportunities as undistinguished UT grads.
Probably so, but your initial statement was not a comparison between the "STCL moot court grad" and the "undistinguished UT grad."  In any event, I would rather press my luck at UT than trying to become part of the STCL moot court.

But, the point was that rankings go out the window when you are trying to practice in a particular location....

I did give you credit:   ;)

Mike, your guidance is usually spot-on (e.g., "The most important factor that you should be considering is where you want to work/practice after graduation")

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
Thanks.  I would take UT over STCL all day long too! 

Not offended... just wanted to splain myself...  :)