Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: High LSAT, Low GPA - Where can I get in?  (Read 20249 times)

hoos89

• View Profile
High LSAT, Low GPA - Where can I get in?
« on: April 03, 2011, 04:30:58 AM »
I got a 170 on the February test, and am set to graduate from UVA this May, but it looks like my GPA won't be over 2.9  (Major may be 3.4+ though, not sure if that matters).  EDIT: Major is a BA in Psychology

My question is where can I go?  I know that my LSAT is competitive for some of the top schools, but my GPA is well under the 25th percentile at pretty much every school.  Obviously it's too late for admission this coming Fall, and I am planning on taking a year or two off working as a paralegal or some other related job (hopefully). 

Essentially, I had three pretty bad semesters early in school, and since then I've done significantly better.  I also think that I have reasonable explanations for all three of them.

Considering this, where should I get in, and where might I get in?  More specifically, can I reasonably expect to get into William and Mary (Virginia resident), BC, or BU, or better schools?  And if not what should I shoot for?

Thanks, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: High LSAT, Low GPA - Where can I get in?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »
I would start with Law School Predictor.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

Happy Hunting,

juliedugan

• View Profile
    • Credit Repair
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
I got a 170 on the February test, and am set to graduate from UVA this May, but it looks like my GPA won't be over 2.9  (Major may be 3.4+ though, not sure if that matters).  EDIT: Major is a BA in Psychology

My question is where can I go?  I know that my LSAT is competitive for some of the top schools, but my GPA is well under the 25th percentile at pretty much every school.  Obviously it's too late for admission this coming Fall, and I am planning on taking a year or two off working as a paralegal or some other related job (hopefully). 

Essentially, I had three pretty bad semesters early in school, and since then I've done significantly better.  I also think that I have reasonable explanations for all three of them.

Considering this, where should I get in, and where might I get in?  More specifically, can I reasonably expect to get into William and Mary (Virginia resident), BC, or BU, or better schools?  And if not what should I shoot for?

Thanks, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

I was about to ask the same question... only my GPA is closer to 3.4.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
The good news is that most schools weigh the LSAT more than the GPA.  Some go up to about 75%, but I think average is about 60% (all a guess based on experience). 

Because of your low GPA, your application will be reviewed at each place.  I don't think you are an auto admit because of your GPA; at the same time, however, you aren't an auto-reject because of your LSAT. 

Spend a significant amount of time on the application.  There is a free checklist in the book linked in my signature, it might help. 

Good luck, let us know what happens!!

Bruin616

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
I have a question...

Pass/Fail Zero Credit Hour Courses (How Will LSDAS calculate it?)

My school makes all of their business students enroll in a zero credit hour Computer Proficiency course their freshmen year. I failed to complete the course my freshmen year and they automatically placed an F on my transcript. Although it is a zero credit hour course at my institution, how will LSDAS calculate it? Since the "F" is a grade from a zero credit hour class, will LSDAS treat it as such?

Thanks for your help! All responses are welcomed!

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »
I'm no expert, but I think you should be fine.  LSAC does not include pass/fail hours in the GPA, and even if they did, a 0 hour course will have 0 effect on your GPA. 

Starlett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:09:01 AM »

I think you’re okay for getting into law school.  I guess the question really is how highly ranked of a law school can you get into.  Your LSAT is great, but your GPA is low.  You mentioned that you had three bad semesters.  Why is this - death in family, working full-time?  Perhaps you have a good explanation.  You may want to consider adding an addendum to your application.  In my ebook, The Star Law Applicant, I include an entire chapter about addenda and discuss specifically your situation where the GPA is low.  Check it out when you get a chance.  Good luck with your law school applications!  I know it is a daunting process.

Star
www.thestarlawapplicant.com
Harvard Law School ‘06