Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to write a demand letter for personal injury without hiring a lawyer?  (Read 7246 times)

kami june

• ICQ Messenger - 4569852
    • MSN Messenger - kami.june001@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kamijune001
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kamijune001
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pessinlaw.com
I was recently involved in a car accident where the other person was at fault as determined by both insurance companies. They paid to fix my car already, but now I want to file a personal injury claim with the other persons insurance company without hiring a lawyer. Where can I learn the proper procedures and forms? Does any body have any sample demand letters I can use? Please help...

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I was recently involved in a car accident where the other person was at fault as determined by both insurance companies. They paid to fix my car already, but now I want to file a personal injury claim with the other persons insurance company without hiring a lawyer. Where can I learn the proper procedures and forms? Does any body have any sample demand letters I can use? Please help...

You do realize that a board full of law students is probably the worst possible place to ask for this type of help.  We are, almost certainly, a population of people who are deathly afraid of being accused of practicing law without a license. 

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Why don't you want to hire a lawyer?  Have you already seen several who told you that you don't have a good claim?

Sorry, but I don't think you're going to get anywhere in a PI suit without a lawyer.

Just google sample demand letters if you want to try that.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

This isn't really an answer to your question but just some personal advice.

I deal with insurance companies and settlements every day.  In addition to that, I was hit by a motorist while riding a bicycle when I was younger and sustained some injuries as a result.

Based on this experience, I will offer this:  if you try to do this yourself, the insurance company will whip your ass.  They have lawyers.  They know the rules.  They know their rights.  They know what is a good settlement, what is a bad settlement and what is a fair settlement. 

You don't know any of those things and they're not going to help you with any portion of your desire to get the optimal PI settlement from them.

Not only that, but the first person (and possibly the ONLY person) you will be dealing with is an adjuster.  They're not that versed in the law.  They don't know all that much about this.  They DO know that they're measured on their average cost of claims and how long it takes to settle.  So, they don't know enough to settle PI correctly, and their only incentive is to have measurements that look good to their boss.  Draw your own conclusions about that.  Me?  I'd be thinking that their primary motivation will be to pay as little as possible.

The insurance company was so unreasonable with me in my accident that I ended up hiring a PI attorney who got me a much, much bigger settlement than anything I would have expected.  It was settled without having to go to trial, so the insurance company obviously felt it wasn't that disadvantageous to them. 

People may think little of PI attorneys, but frankly, I think they have their place.  The insurance company has almost all the information and all the expertise on their side and they do this every day for a living.  You, on the other hand are going to try and take them on based on free advice you're asking for over the internet.

Just think about that for a moment.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
The OP was posting to get a link to his website, it wasn't a sincere request for info. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to write a demand letter for personal injury without hiring a lawyer?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »
Why would he do that?  Seems to be a waste of time.  Maybe he wants to see if the public can figure out how to do his job.  Or maybe he's scoping for a future associate. 

OP- You should contact the Law Offices of Gregg Pessin- Personal Injury Attorney.  I hear he is the best PI lawyer in FL if you need to hire a PI lawyer.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

munculitza

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
These lawyers make millions in fees and still they are always on the search to attach some institution for some non sense cause. I have a friend , a New Orleans injury lawyer but he has some integrity , does not appear in cheap commercials and fuel peoples greed.

justanothersucker

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
Ask a ProBono Attorney in your area.

Or get a book from your library.

Or give up.

All good options.