Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Trying to figure out what LSAT score I need  (Read 6032 times)

willseattle

• View Profile
Trying to figure out what LSAT score I need
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:13:25 AM »
Hi,
    Trying to figure out if it is possible for me to get into ASU Law school. I graduated undergrad with a 2.6 GPA in Business management. This is really low I know (mostly because my senior year my Dad passed away, so I didn't try to hard my last semester) I'm wondering if there is anyway I can still go to ASU, also what LSAT score I should go hope to achieve. I know the average acceptance GPA is 3.3 to 3.8 and the average LSAT score of 153 to 163. If I get a really high LSAT score is there a chance I could get in? On LSAT practice tests I've gotten high 160's..
Thanks for your help!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trying to figure out what LSAT score I need
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:16:45 AM »
Well, I'd say there's no harm in applying, but unless you're a URM, my "from the hip", purely non-expert impression is that you probably will not be accepted.

How about Phoenix Law?  You could always try to transfer after 1L if you get good grades and still want to go to ASU.  Granted, that's a gamble, but worst-case, you can get that Phoenix Law degree and practice.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »
You need to be in the 170's.  Safe number is probably 175. 

You won't be an auto-admit, but you will have a very strong chance, given a smart application. 

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:37:54 PM »
How about Phoenix Law?  You could always try to transfer after 1L if you get good grades and still want to go to ASU.  Granted, that's a gamble, but worst-case, you can get that Phoenix Law degree and practice.

Do not do this.

I think MikePing is about right. You need to be in the 170s and the higher the better. If you check out lawschoolnumbers.com, there was apparently a non-URM admit with a 168 and a 2.76 GPA. I think that's cutting it pretty close, but that should at least give you a general idea of how you need to do. Good luck.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »
Plug some numbers into the LSAC's UGPA/LSAT search box and see what you come up with:  https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
That site works and lawschoolnumbers.com is also a great place to look at what schools you can get into. This also shows you how much scholarship money certain people got and what "soft" factors they had.

marcdagr8

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »

Do not do this.

I think MikePing is about right. You need to be in the 170s and the higher the better. If you check out lawschoolnumbers.com, there was apparently a non-URM admit with a 168 and a 2.76 GPA. I think that's cutting it pretty close, but that should at least give you a general idea of how you need to do. Good luck.

why not? I am in just about the same boat as bigs5068 and I am planning on going to Phoenix college before transferring.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »

Do not do this.

why not? I am in just about the same boat as bigs5068 and I am planning on going to Phoenix college before transferring.

Because you're banking on transferring (which is your first mistake) and you're going to shell out $50K a year to go to a law school that is blown out of the water by the other two schools in the state.

If you do ignore this advice (and you probably will), I STRONGLY recommend you sign up for every clinic you can, get to know whatever prosecutors/public defenders/whatever you can in the process, and pray a job opens up. I would specifically look for employers with high turnover (perhaps employees on contract?) to get your foot in the door.