Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: hi everyone! :) request your advice!  (Read 1020 times)

dothewave

• View Profile
Re: hi everyone! :) request your advice!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
i feel foolish for having someone articulate my own thoughts better than me. that is exactly how i feel. i admit i'm still a bit bitter, but the experience has inspired me and i just hope i learned enough from it to succeed.

LawSchoolHonors

• View Profile
    • Law School Honors
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »
In light of how many cookie-cutter applicants are out there, I think your story could make for a great personal statement. It would definitely distinguish you from the pack. The tricky part is to make sure it distinguishes you in a positive way -- which is definitely possible, but hard.  Out of curiousity, can you submit an application without telling that story?  That is, were you formally sanctioned by the school, or did they just ask you to leave voluntarily? If you weren't formally sanctioned, you might consider holding back the details and playing it a little safer. You can still talk about your drug policy reform aspirations, but you might present it a little differently. If you have to disclose what happened, then you should 100% own it and proudly tell the whole story in your personal statement, explaining how the experience solidified your resolve to become a lawyer.  In any event, you sound like a very interesting applicant!

By the way, I was also in SSDP as an undergraduate...
For the best in law school tutoring, prelaw admissions consulting and law student career coaching visit www.LawSchoolHonors.com or e-mail LawSchoolHonors@gmail.com

dothewave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »
its kind of difficult to tell. though i resigned from the Air Force Academy, they will contend that they kicked me out (they wouldn't sign forms saying i was in good academic standing). however, because my bachelors will be coming from a different school, would that still matter?

when the time comes to re-draft my personal statement (now i think i sound less humble and more mad that i got caught) i'll definitely submit it. i guess i assumed that a complete retelling of my story would make me stand out as an applicant, but i think there are different ways of spinning the same tale.

and hooray for SSDP! despite my school being pretty large, i'm surprised that it hasn't been started yet.