Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall vs. Rutgers Newark...help!!  (Read 1812 times)

stace88

• View Profile
Seton Hall vs. Rutgers Newark...help!!
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:58:26 PM »
Hi guys!
I'm new to this board and basically joined because I need some major help. I know people have posted about this in the past but I couldn't find anything newer than 2008, so I figured I would repost. I received 8,000 a year from Rutgers Newark (plus I'll qualify for instate tuition) and 25,000 from Seton Hall. I'm planning on living at home with my parents, so Rutgers would be about $4,000 cheaper a year. I keep reading different things, some people say Seton Hall is better, some say Rutgers is better. I went to visit Rutgers and really loved what I saw (I'm also Rutgers undergad so I have a certain soft spot for RU), the only thing I don't love is that it's a bit far from Newark Penn and it's rankings have slipped over the years. Seton Hall is a block away from the train and it seems to be on the rise. Any input on which would be the better choice? I'd really appreciate any insight, thanks!

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Seton Hall vs. Rutgers Newark...help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
I say go to Rutgers.  Are you comfortable attended Seton Hall if you lose the scholarship?  Because I wasn't when I considered going there.  Also, there is no shortage of bloggers out there who will trash Seton Hall in a second.  I know it's the Internet, but I found it unnerving to see so many people completely HATING on Seton Hall.  I don't know what the deal is with the rankings drop for Rutgers, so I don't know if that's something to be concerned about, but I think it's worth sucking up its worse location from Newark Penn.  I didn't end up at Rutgers, and I often regret that decision (I love my school, but fiscally, I might have made the wrong decision). 

Anyway, maybe try TLS for a response to this since no one uses this board anymore, but ask around to see if anyone knows what the deal is with the rankings jump.  Rankings are pretty arbitrary down the list and schools pull a lot of tricks to cook the numbers.  Seton Hall might have more grads employed at graduation, but many clerk for traffic court judges.  I'm not kidding.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »
They are both nearly identical schools. Consider the scholarship conditions for Seton Hall if they are really stringent then go to Rutgers, since it is in state-tuition. Many schools will place a condition such as you need to achieve a 3.0 in your first year. Anyone that is getting a scholarship to an ABA school acheived a 3.0 in undergrad pretty easily so they think they same will be true in law school. However, many schools will only let 35% of the class achieve a 3.0 in their first year and this results in you having only a 35% chance of keeping your scholarship. This is because 100% of students at any law school think they are going to be in the top 10%, but you don't need to be a math major to figure out how that plays out. If Seton Halls scholarship is more laxed or guaranteed then that is not something to worry about, but many first year students don't take the scholarship conditions seriously.

In regards to their rankings they are baseless for determining the difference between Seton Hall & Rutgers. The formula is a complete mess the rankings can accurately tell you what the T14 schools are, but nobody knows the difference between  Santa Clara & University of San Francisco. Seton Hall & Rugters. Seattle v. Gonzaga etc. This article written from LSAC is very on point regarding how little you should consider the rankings. http://www.lsac.org/LsacResources/Research/GR/GR-07-02.pdf The formula for doing the rankings is that judges & lawyers from across the country mark a scan tron rating a school from 1-5. So some judge in Nebraska rated Seton Hall a 3 instead of a 4. This judge has never met anyone from Seton Hall or Rutgers, but he marked the box. That is the system more or less. This is not something to take to seriously. 

If the conditions for the scholarship are stringent then go to Rutgers and get in the In-State tuition. They literally are equal schools so just get out as cheaply as possible.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
I mean honestly, even with $25,000/year from Seton Hall, you're spending more there than you are on Rutgers.  And again, there are a lot of SHU Law alums who hate the school, I'm not sure the same can be said for Rutgers.  It might be because the schools instill different expectations on students in terms of job prospects, but I don't even think the schools are identical, but I really don't know if it makes a difference reputation-wise.  If you lose your scholarship at SHU, you're going to pay $45,000 a year.  If you lose the scholarship at Rutgers, you pay $25,000 a year.  It's a lower risk, and all things being equal, I'd take the lower risk.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »
You will probably find alumni from any school that don't like it. I know someone that went to Harvard and said he didn't  love the experience. It's pretty subjective and just because a few people complain about SHU or Rutgers is no reason to believe this is true of all students. There are certain people that will complain no matter what happens. If they present sufficient reasons for why they don't like it then it might be worth listening. If they finished dead last in their class , never passed the bar, never had single internship in school, and now they are unemployed and decide to blame their school instead of themselves for their predicament, then it is more of a personal problem than Seton Hall's problem.

If there is something about Seton Hall that stands out maybe they offer classes that Seton Hall doesn't or they have a clinic Rutgers doesn't,  or have something that Rutgers doesn't have then Seton Hall might be the answer. The transporation issue is something to consider if the commute will be easier for you to deal with then maybe it will be worth it. However, you said you loved everything about Rutgers, it is in the location you want to live in, and it is cheaper. That sounds like a good combination. Don't take the rankings into account for these caliber of schools. They change literally year to year. See University of San Francisco, which in a four year period went from 73rd to tier 3, to 86, to currenlty being in a 14 way tie I believe for 93rd place. By the time you graduate it is very possible Rutgers will be ahead of Seton Hall in the rankings or vice versa. The formula is based on people with no familiarity of mid to low level school who are filling out scantrons. If you were choosing between NYU and Rutgers it pretty easy decision, but these two schools are equal period nobody is going to favor Seton Hall over Rutgers or vice versa. They are mid-level schools in the New York-New Jersey Area. So unless there is something one school offers over the other get out as cheaply as possible.