Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new comparitive reading questions: where do i find practice material?  (Read 513 times)

truedax3131

• View Profile
so apparently the "comparitive reading" where theres 2 passages to read instead of one is a pretty new thing and the older lsats dont have them. how different are these from the other reading passages? and where can you find them? the new sample from lsac as well as the tests at free-lsat.com have comparitive reading questions but other than that i havent really found any.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: new comparitive reading questions: where do i find practice material?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
so apparently the "comparitive reading" where theres 2 passages to read instead of one is a pretty new thing and the older lsats dont have them. how different are these from the other reading passages? and where can you find them? the new sample from lsac as well as the tests at free-lsat.com have comparitive reading questions but other than that i havent really found any.

True -

On the assumption that this is on the up-and-up, you might first look at the basic components of any of the LSAC's materials.  Quite honestly, it matters not which you start with.  You could even pick one up from 1971 and get a fair sense of essential lawyerish "aptitude" and what it is that law school folk are concerned with.  Reading comprehension is obviously a major part of the LSAT, and has been for some time, so the specific form of comparative evaluation is a concern after mastering the basic elements.

You might also read Morten Lund's book on memos.  While that might seem premature, it will lend a good sense of the degree of precision needed in all forms of communication.  Lawyers are excruciatingly precise, and law school admissions officers are part of this process of defining, observing, and choosing those with a like degree of precision.

Thane.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:48:14 PM »
You should also consider a live commercial prep course.  They will usually be as current as you can get. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
just get practie tests from last 3 years or so.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:14:31 AM »
how different are these from the other reading passages?

They're not much different than a single passage that presents two points of view.  A big difference is that some questions are specific to one passage or the other, or ask about something contained in one or the other or both (e.g. Which of the following is advocated in Passage A but not in Passage B?)  I've found is useful to read the first passage, then go through any questions/answers that deal with that passage (for instance, in my above example, you could at least eliminate answers that are not in Passage A).