Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I withdraw from college and give up on my goal of one day being a lawyer?  (Read 2669 times)

800pounds

I currently have a 3.0 GPA with the intent? to acquire at least a 3.5 GPA...

I am a freshmen in college...this is my second semester and so far it hasn't been going good. My personal life has been very stressed where I haven't been able to concentrate on my school work. In fact, I find that I am sleeping a lot, which I think is due to a slight depression. I just don't care about anything really...perhaps I do but in a way I don't...

Anyway, I have spoke with one teacher and she is willing to give me an IP, which means I have more time to do the course work so I can have the chance to get a good later grade.
In another course, I haven't been attending and I haven't done any papers. In another course, it's pretty much oral communications so I think I can manage. Lastly, my other course, my professor says I can do some papers and before the Withdraw deadline date, he will tell me if I will pass with a good grade.

So, basically how bad will 2-3 W's look on my transcript? Or should I withdraw from college and come back next semester...or never... Or should I throw in towel and give on a top law school :'(

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
It sounds like you a putting a lot of pressure on yourself early.  Its definitely easier to explain a W than to deal with the consequences of a low GPA.  Drop the classes if you don't have a shot at an A. 

You don't have to give up on law school, but I would be concerned about how you would fare based on what you are explaining about your current plight.  Law school is easily 5 times as demanding as undergrad. 

Your dream of a top law school is going to be tough even if you are perfect.  Why don't you do your best and then go the the best law school you can get into?  There are over 200 law schools, but only a handful at the top.  97% of lawyers don't graduate from the T14 schools. 

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'd say do your best in college, study for a degree that is marketable in and of itself and think about law school in three years.  For now you need to work on self discipline/self motivation.  A top law school is wayyyy harder than undergrad.  I almost always had the highest grade in my class in college and usually without really trying terribly hard.  I worked very hard in law school and was still not the top in my class.  Being an actual lawyer is harder still, at least from a motivation standpoint (way more boring than law school, but not necessarily more challenging).  If you can't make yourself go to class and study are you sure you want to review documents and write tedious memos 90 hrs a week?
HLS 2010

800pounds

I'd say do your best in college, study for a degree that is marketable in and of itself and think about law school in three years.  For now you need to work on self discipline/self motivation.  A top law school is wayyyy harder than undergrad.  I almost always had the highest grade in my class in college and usually without really trying terribly hard.  I worked very hard in law school and was still not the top in my class.  Being an actual lawyer is harder still, at least from a motivation standpoint (way more boring than law school, but not necessarily more challenging).  If you can't make yourself go to class and study are you sure you want to review documents and write tedious memos 90 hrs a week?

I know I can do it even though it will be hard work. I know I shouldn't let my circumstances affect my education or motivation but what has been happening has been very stressful on me.
 I have to admit I am probably a little depressed.
But of course, I have contemplated if law was for me, considering it will be more time consuming and there won't be time to let my personal life to affect my work.

But I am not giving up until the fat lady sings.

I really feel like utilizing the law to help others will make a really good impact on society overall.

Well, I am not trying to go to an Ivy but a good school nonetheless. If I really couldn't do it, believe me I wouldn't try. Having dreams is good but I prefer to be realistic.

800pounds

It sounds like you a putting a lot of pressure on yourself early.  Its definitely easier to explain a W than to deal with the consequences of a low GPA.  Drop the classes if you don't have a shot at an A. 

You don't have to give up on law school, but I would be concerned about how you would fare based on what you are explaining about your current plight.  Law school is easily 5 times as demanding as undergrad. 

Your dream of a top law school is going to be tough even if you are perfect.  Why don't you do your best and then go the the best law school you can get into?  There are over 200 law schools, but only a handful at the top.  97% of lawyers don't graduate from the T14 schools. 

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Yes, I have thought about that. I admit, I do need more self discipline because I know if I am to go to law school, it will be more mentally straining on me.
I know a few lawyers and I try to ask them for advice. One professor encouraged me to become a judge! One said I should thrive for all A's since law schools admit the top of the top. He also said I should look into other career alternatives, in case it doesn't work out. I have a cousin who is smart and was going to be a lawyer, but instead ended up being a successful accountant; he wasn't surprised when I said law was my goal. He associates with lawyers and said I have the smarts and "personality" of one, so I should definitely stick with it.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
For virtually every type of Judge, you have to be a lawyer first.

The advice to focus on your GPA right now, was spot on. 

You should also spend some more time investigating what its actually like to be a lawyer.  Here is an article called Should I Become a Lawyer that might help.

nyulawguy

• View Profile
Also, a lot of lawyers go on to do other things.

One NYU law student started the website MyNYCBirthday.com while engaged in his second year of law school.

schizm

• View Profile
    • Outlines4Lawschool
I currently have a 3.0 GPA with the intent? to acquire at least a 3.5 GPA...

I am a freshmen in college...this is my second semester and so far it hasn't been going good. My personal life has been very stressed where I haven't been able to concentrate on my school work. In fact, I find that I am sleeping a lot, which I think is due to a slight depression. I just don't care about anything really...perhaps I do but in a way I don't...

Anyway, I have spoke with one teacher and she is willing to give me an IP, which means I have more time to do the course work so I can have the chance to get a good later grade.
In another course, I haven't been attending and I haven't done any papers. In another course, it's pretty much oral communications so I think I can manage. Lastly, my other course, my professor says I can do some papers and before the Withdraw deadline date, he will tell me if I will pass with a good grade.

So, basically how bad will 2-3 W's look on my transcript? Or should I withdraw from college and come back next semester...or never... Or should I throw in towel and give on a top law school :'(?

Why do you want to be a lawyer? What do you want to achieve? What type of lawyer do you want to be? So a professor said you should be a judge; well what do you want to be...?

If the only reason you want to go be a lawyer is for the money then you picked the wrong profession given your grades (unless you are an IP guy). Additionally, even if you were top of your class you would have to slug it out 80hrs a week at a large firm for many years before you could even hope of being partner. With all that time working you would have no time to spend your money.

So what do you want out of it?
www.outlines4lawschool.com - Law School Outlines & FREE Bar Exam Outlines!