Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Must Stay in DC Area - Not Sure What My Chances Are!  (Read 1011 times)

MissMaryland

• "Don't believe the lie, you can have it all"
    • View Profile
    • Email
Must Stay in DC Area - Not Sure What My Chances Are!
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:44:28 AM »
I currently work for the Senate in D.C. I want to keep my job and get into a part-time program but with the caliber of schools in the area, I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I literally have every single one on my list (minus UDC) - GW, George Mason, American, Catholic, University of Maryland, Georgetown (MAJOR reach). I worked through school, I'm 24 but I've managed millions of dollars of inventory for a finance company and handled the operations at a digital strategy firm.
Interested if anyone has insight into my odds??

GPA approx 2.9 (typical bad excuses - worked during school, traveled a lot)
LSAT (without prep course which I start next month) solid around 162
URM x 2 (AA and a woman)

Thanks so much!

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Must Stay in DC Area - Not Sure What My Chances Are!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »
You left off UDC from your list of DC part-time programs.

I would say you have a really good chance at American, UM (note, this school is in Baltimore not in the immediate DC area), Catholic. I suspect that you would be a lock for UDC.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »
Your stats look solid.  Woman doesn't equal URM anymore, so don't focus too much on that when you apply.

niederbomb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
OP should get into GW as an AA, right? 

I'd recommend studying your ass off for the LSAT, retaking, and trying to hit 170.  Then, as AA, you'd probably be golden at Georgetown (at least PT). You won't regret it!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:10:04 AM »
I was going to try and break the bad news to you gently, but I think once you throw in URM, if you wail on the LSAT, you stand a really, really good shot.

I wouldn't even rule out Georgetown.  I agree with the previous poster who said to study your butt off and get a 170+.  If you can get a 162 without prep, you have a great score within your reach.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!!!  Oh, and save some crash space on your couch because I LOVE Washington DC.  The blocks around the National Mall are absolutely amazing.