Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low GPA and LSAT  (Read 2625 times)

must2fa

• View Profile
Low GPA and LSAT
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »
I graduated in 2005 with a low Gpa of 2.6  :-\. Since then I have been self employed and recently I took the Feb 2011 LSAT and scored a low 150. Do I have a chance of getting into South Texas College of Law? Thank you in advance for your help.

SaraJean

• View Profile
Re: Low GPA and LSAT
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:35:41 AM »
According to the LSAT/UGPA search at https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx, you have a 12% to 25% chance of being accepted at South Texas.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
According to the LSAT/UGPA search at https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx, you have a 12% to 25% chance of being accepted at South Texas.

I could be totally wrong about this, but when I see chances that low, I'm thinking that if you're not a URM, you may really need to re-think it.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Also, and this is not to be harsh, it may mean that law is not for you.  I would seriously consider the prospect of sinking yourself int $100+K of non-dischargable debt for a law degree  from a lower-ranked school that does not guarantee a job/decent salary (or even reasonably improve the odds - since there are no guarantees).  The time/money could be invested in other education/degrees that could lead to a much more pleasant and lucritive career.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »
If you really want to go to law school, take a LSAT prep course and get your score up.  Who knows, if you bump enough, you could look at UH instead of STCL. 

I have a friend who is a Houston police officer who had a slightly better index (GPA+LSAT) than you and  didn't get in.  The low acceptence number is going to pretty much all be URM's. 

South Texas Grads who do Moot Court have very good employment prospects.

must2fa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
Thank you so much for the honest answers. I am a Pakistani national and maybe being a Urm will benefit me a little. I probably will retake the LSAT in June. Which score with my GPA will guarantee admission at STCL ? 

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:26:46 AM »
I'd suggest you go to the site I used (link above), put in your GPA, and try putting in different LSAT scores.

LovingLaw89

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
Thank you so much for the honest answers. I am a Pakistani national and maybe being a Urm will benefit me a little. I probably will retake the LSAT in June. Which score with my GPA will guarantee admission at STCL ?

Pakistanis = not URM

Even though I think we aren't represented enough-
 Pakistani = Asian

You can make a diversify statement about your background etc etc