Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hamline or Phoenix School of law (Please no flaming)  (Read 1422 times)

piatigorsky

• View Profile
    • Email
Hamline or Phoenix School of law (Please no flaming)
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
Received big scholarship to Hamline, or I could stay home and attend Phoenix School of Law with a medium scholarship. Is anybody here considering either school? I would like to hear more and share my experiences with you too. If you are are concerned about flaming, please PM me.

Thanks!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hamline or Phoenix School of law (Please no flaming)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
Received big scholarship to Hamline, or I could stay home and attend Phoenix School of Law with a medium scholarship. Is anybody here considering either school? I would like to hear more and share my experiences with you too. If you are are concerned about flaming, please PM me.

Thanks!

I am not attending either school, but wish I could go to Phoenix.  (Personal reasons, unrelated to law school.)  It is what it is.  It's 4T reality.  Just get in there and fight for your class rank.  If you do well enough after 1L you can consider transferring. 

I probably don't need to tell you that if you don't do very well your only real shot is probably going to be to start your own practice.

I'd say go with the school that's in an area you want to live in, and where you want to practice afterwards.  If you ask me, I'd much rather spend 3 years, or the rest of my life, in Arizona versus Minnesota. 

Student loan debt sucks, but if you're young enough, inflation nibbles away at it a little bit and if you don't take too much, it's just like a large car payment.  So, you have to drive a hoopty for a while.  Lots of folks do that.

Your life will be defined by the people you meet, the places you live, the things you experience.  In the end, it will not be defined by how much coin you have in the bank.

Best of luck.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
I agree with the previous poster.  If you want to spend your life in AZ, go to Phoenix.  Here are some thoughts on choosing a law school.

I would not recommend attending a school that your only goal would be to transfer from.  Very few students are able to successfully transfer; it's a big gamble. 

If you aren't satisfied with your choices, skip a year and put together a better application for next year. 

piatigorsky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58:26 AM »
Thank you for the input! I am visiting Minnesota next week. Should be chilly.