Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I go ahead and take the prep course?  (Read 829 times)

Ryans5

Should I go ahead and take the prep course?
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
I just took the LSAT practice test under timed conditions with maybe 30 minutes of overall preparation and scored a 149. Should I go ahead and shell out the 1500 bucks for the prep course? How much will it generally boost your score?
They say 10-20 points and if that's true I'm aces but I'm not sure I believe that.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Should I go ahead and take the prep course?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
Its a very good investment.  Take it. 

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
$1500 ???

My prep course with MLSAT doesn't cost as much and they have been super helpful thus far. I only paid $1000 for my 12 online courses and get with it access to extra only study groups (that meet 2-4x a week), extra free class session with one of their instructors, 30 minute week office hours with an instructor to address any of your concerns and a number of other resources, class recordings and free practice tests that come with the cost.

I do not think any other prep course compares and I've taken both Princeton Review and BluePrintPrep in the past.
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

bradyllewis

• View Profile
    • LSAT Testing Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »
I think that professional prep materials are very important and worth the money (although 1500 seems kinda high).  Just think about how important this exam is to you.  You should do whatever you can to get the best score within your ability.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
I assume the $1500 is for a course that meets live.  If so, its a reasonable charge. 

I think that live courses are a bit better because you can get some one-on-one help and better feedback. 

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
I assume the $1500 is for a course that meets live.  If so, its a reasonable charge. 

I think that live courses are a bit better because you can get some one-on-one help and better feedback.

I think Testmasters is the only one that charges that much.
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

Graeme

• View Profile
    • lsat prep 180
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:44:59 AM »
If you're good at self study, then you might consider simply buying the prep materials on your own.  The companies write all of their strategies in the books. 

For example, a powerscore course will cost ~1300. 

You could get all of the LSAT preptests and the 3 powerscore bible books for ~300, and that's if you pay full price.

You'll need a bit more motivation, but it can be just as effective.
lsatprep180.com - free half hour LSAT lesson

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »
If you are disciplined, I think you can get 80-90% of the results of a prep course through self study. 

If you are considering this, the question to ask yourself is whether 1-3 points is worth that money.  1-3 points could make major differences in your law school chances, it really depends on where you want to go.

Live courses give you a chance at having a professional watch you and work with you directly.  The other option would be to study yourself, but drop $400-$500 on a tutor.  Either option will get you the results you want.   At the end of the day, the tutor is cheaper, the  course is easier.