Total Members Voted: 4
Quote from: jack24 on March 21, 2011, 12:18:42 PMI go to the top school in my market and only half of last years class had a job at graduation. I also think there's 4T and there's 4T. Looking at Ohio schools, honestly, I mean no disrespect to anybody, but I don't think anybody thinks there's a whit of difference between CSU, U of Toledo and U of Akron Law. I think they're all regarded as competent, not particularly remarkable, and just solid, state-supported law schools with rather forgiving admissions policies. I don't think anybody thinks of them as “great”, but I don't think anybody thinks of them as “bad” either. They're “good”, solid, they teach you the law and get you ready to practice if you're willing to put in the work and you have some potential. The top of the classes probably do very well. The bottom of the classes probably not so much.They all move around a lot between 3T and 4T. Once in a while, one of them will crack the lower part of 2T. (Toledo has been there a couple of times this century). There seems to be a lot of movement and jockeying in the 3 and 4T. That tells me the rankings are highly imprecise when drawing distinctions between these schools. You just can't take them too seriously if it's possible to be #98 one year, and in the hoard below #143 three years later. Contrast to the T14, where the schools are the same every year.
I go to the top school in my market and only half of last years class had a job at graduation.
Do you think this has something to do with the economy, though? I mean, new grads of all stripes (both law and non-law) are having trouble finding jobs. I wonder if perhaps the situation you describe has more to do with the economy than your school.
However, I am not sure there is a huge demand for M.B.A's, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, Cops, I honestly am not aware of any position that people are like man there are just not enough of these around.
I have friends in nursing school and I have only talked to a few med students don't personally know anyone. I know the nursing students are worried about finding jobs and my one friend is in a program where they have failed out 80% of the students that started, the remaining 20% are still worried about finding jobs at graduation.
For med students as I understand it from a few brief conversations is you go to med school then you do your residency, which locks you in for 4-5 years at 50,000 a year after having paid 100K+ for med school. All the med students I talked to were saying how much easier it would be to be a lawyer and I thought the exact opposite, but it turns out neither one is all that great. You can succeed in either one, but it is not a guarantee. I also think when your residency ends you are not guaranteed a job it is a competitive profession just like everything else. Again, this is based on two very brief conversations regarding M.D.'s.
I do know nursing students are not guaranteed anything and it is extremely difficult to even get accepted into any nursing program.
If I am correct about the M.D. process, then I think my point still stands there is no guaranteed way to financial success.
If there was most people would probably be doing it.
Education is a risk and when you graduate the annoying process of job hunting begins no matter what you are doing.
Based on both your and my points it does sound like either of us really know anything about the medical profession and you saying the med students were whiny are exactly what they think about law students who say they can't find jobs. I think law students have some idea that doctors have some easy path and many doctors think the same thing about lawyers. The grass is always greener on the other side.
Page created in 0.486 seconds with 22 queries.