Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Colorado vs. University of Oregon!!?  (Read 2707 times)

Pronkbaggins

• View Profile
    • Email
University of Colorado vs. University of Oregon!!?
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
So far I have been accepted to University of Oregon and University of Colorado. My decision letter from University of Washington was sent yesterday, but even if I was accepted, I'm not sure I could afford any of these schools. I'm an Arizona resident so it'll be expensive either way. My scores are 156/4.0.

If you had a choice between UO and UC which would you choose?

Pronkbaggins

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Colorado vs. University of Oregon!!?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:50:57 AM »
I don't think I'd have a problem working in Denver or Portland. I've read that University of Colorado law students typically are more likely to work in neighboring states, but if that's not true then I may have to wait on these other schools. Do you know of any schools that typically DO get employed in other states for? I am also looking into a JD/MBA but I don't know if this influences the possibility of a job out of those two cities.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
I know it's not for everyone, but Boulder really is an awesome city.  I love Fort Collins too.  You have the great plains directly to your east and the rocky mountains right on your west.  Denver is a pretty lively city all year round, and that whole area has a ton of outdoor options for each of the four seasons.   The weather is surprisingly temperate compared to its reputation.  I don't know anything about Oregon, so I can't say that Boulder is a better place to live, but I think it's a great place.

Portland and Denver are close to the same size, and Colorado has a couple million more people than Oregon does.  The University of Oregon ranked 79, supposedly dominates it's sole in-state competition (Willamette ranked 113).   The University of Colorado is ranked 47, and Sturm in Denver is ranked 77.  That seems pretty significant, but I doubt most of the local firms see it that way.  Someone ranked in the top 20% at Sturm is probably in a better position than someone ranked in the middle at Colorado.

The chances at getting a job are kind of a crapshoot until you know how well you'll do in school.  So you can always make your decision based on tuition costs (slight advantage Oregon), population of the state (advantage Colorado), University Sports (Huge Advantage Oregon and Nike), Professional sports (huge advantage Colorado), or just a coin flip.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »
You really don't think the university of Colorado is competitive in Denver?  I trust that you are basing that on good information, but it still surprises me.

Pronkbaggins

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
Thanks guys, this has given me a lot to think about. As far as I've heard, job prospects aren't good anywhere, but it seems to be even more difficult than I thought. Still not sure which school to go with, but I was leaning towards Colorado as far as livability is concerned. I have yet to hear from University of Washington and Lewis & Clark, so right now I guess it's just going to be tough.

But I agree that other factors are equally if not more important right now because of the poor market (I will probably be struggling for jobs anyways). Oregon definitely is at an advantage tuition-wise so far. It's looking more and more like a coin flip is going to be the best bet! Thanks for all your feedback and for helping me think about my career after school is finished as well.

sunshine09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
I would go with University of Colorado, its an excellent school, far superior to Oregon and will leave you with more choices.  It depends what you are looking for though if you are into a special field then go with what has better options for that, but on a basic overview go with CO

Pronkbaggins

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »
I would go with University of Colorado, its an excellent school, far superior to Oregon and will leave you with more choices.  It depends what you are looking for though if you are into a special field then go with what has better options for that, but on a basic overview go with CO

Thanks for the opinion! I am leaning more and more towards University of Colorado. I think I really need to visit Boulder itself before making a final decision (and of course financial aid may make a difference).

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
I don't know anything about Oregon, but Colorado is a good school, Boulder is fun (but a bit wacky in that liberal-college-town sort of way) and Denver is fun and not wacky (and not far away).  There isn't a better place in the states for outdoor fun (rockclimbing, biking of all types etc). 
HLS 2010