Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wanting to go to Law School but...  (Read 3506 times)

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Wanting to go to Law School but...
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »
My point is that in any given application class, the number of former service members especially like this man will be low.  Not that Marines are unlikely to apply to law school. 

oceanblue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
You can go where ever you want with those scores.  Have you applied to Duke?  They will take military references and personal references so will Wake Forest and Campbell.  Schools in North Carolina are extremely military friendly.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
Why are people here focusing on the military?  Your scores are stellar, close to the top %1.  With top %1 scores you can go wherever you want. Military service isn't too relevant, unless you want to practice law in the military.  In that case, you do need to do some research on schools connected to the military. Otherwise, I am failing to see a connection.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
The focus on the military is based upon the OP's concerns about lack of extracurriculars in his/her LS application. 

I would have to disagree with your assumption that military service "isn't too relevant, unless you want to practice law in the military."  Please see Dean Pless' comments during an TLS interview, "TLS: What soft factors, meaning components of the applications besides GPA/LSAT, does your law school like the most?Pless: I think most people consider resume and PS to be soft factors. At least I do. Military experience is certainly a positive factor...."http://www.top-law-schools.com/paul-pless-interview.html

While it is true that the OP's scores are stellar, most deans will attest that there is no such thing as an auto-admit.

William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »
This seems like a bit of a flame to me

A bit?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »
All I meant was his career past, unless he was a legal secretary or something in the Marines, is irrelevant to law school.  Will an admissions board look upon it differently than any other job, say a fire fighter or police officer?  You may think it is cool, but has no bearing on the law, unless like I said he worked in military law while he was in the military.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, just looking at the facts.  Because you want it to be a relevant factor is not enough to make it a relevant factor.  OP, by all means try, but don't think because you were in the military you have a leg up in law school.  That is a logical fallacy.  With your numbers you don't need soft factors like that anyways. 170 on the LSAT is enough alone to get you into a decent school.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
All I meant was his career past, unless he was a legal secretary or something in the Marines, is irrelevant to law school.

Untrue.

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:47:37 PM »
All I meant was his career past, unless he was a legal secretary or something in the Marines, is irrelevant to law school.  Will an admissions board look upon it differently than any other job, say a fire fighter or police officer?  You may think it is cool, but has no bearing on the law, unless like I said he worked in military law while he was in the military.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, just looking at the facts.  Because you want it to be a relevant factor is not enough to make it a relevant factor.  OP, by all means try, but don't think because you were in the military you have a leg up in law school.  That is a logical fallacy.  With your numbers you don't need soft factors like that anyways. 170 on the LSAT is enough alone to get you into a decent school.  Good luck.

What are you doing with yourself after your dismissal fortook?

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »
There are plenty of Marines and other former servicemembers--many of them bonafide war heroes--seeking T14 school seats.

Indeed.  There were several recently decorated combat veterans in my law school class (shortly after the first Gulf War), including graduates of the various military academies.

Our current conflicts are unfortunately generating war heroes at a faster pace than the last time we were in the Gulf, and it is reasonable to expect this to be reflected in law school applications, at every level.a

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 11:08:21 PM »
Got into another, much better school.  Thank God. Why the uncomfortable digression?  Too many digressions here already.  I am confused as to why you would digress by alienating me.  Never mind, its okay, I don't really care.  Thanks for checking up on me.